News from the New Stadium

goal celebration hotspur v caernarfon townMYLES HIGH FOR HOTSPUR! - There have been numerous close run encounters between the two football towns of Holyhead and Caernarfon going back as far as the 1880s, but seldom if any will have reached such a dramatic finale as in this H.G.A. league cup quarter final at the new stadium on Saturday.

Young 19 year old serving soldier Myles Jones will no doubt have a good career in the game but his hat-trick in seven minutes in the second half of extra time will take some beating however long it lasts!

The hosts had taken a 13 minute lead through Kenleigh Owen who took advantage of a defensive slip by keeper Paul Pritchard and held the lead until the break defending superbly in the second period as Caernarfon dominated possession but failed to find a way past Hotspur’s resolute rear-guard with the harbourmen always a threat on the break.

However, that was until the third minute of added on time (with Caernarfon down to 10 men after keeper Pritchard saw red) when a corner on the left deep into the goalmouth was lashed home high into the net by Carl Owen to force extra time.

The 10 men Canaries then took the lead via Darren Thomas just before half time in extra time but Myles Jones who had come off the bench in the 90 minute turned out to be an inspired substitution by Campbell Harrison, Hotspur’s Manager.
Young Myles will, of course, make the headlines but no doubt the management team will be at pains to say this was a real team effort and great show of character by all to reach the semi-finals.

Hotspur should be strong on confidence after this win as they host Rhayader town in the H.G.A. at the weekend (K/O 2.30) in the efforts to improve their present 7th place in the league.

The visitors made the early running Cory Williams and Kevin Roberts going close on 4 and 6.  However, Hotspur began to get into it and on 13 took the lead.

Keeper Pritchard made a hash of clearing his lines the ball bobbing to the alert Kenleigh Owen who smartly turned the surprise golden opportunity home.  The visitors began to apply pressure with their patient build up but Holyhead were composed at the back.  However, not long before the break a free kick (which suspiciously looked inside the box) by Owen grazed the top of the cross bar. (H/T 1-0).

The visitors had been on top towards the end of the first period and would continue this in the second stanza but Hotspur were quick on the break.  After Darren Thomas had missed a good opportunity on the hour Holyhead broke quickly from their own half in a three man line up which set Owen in on goal and Pritchard with the initial bloc k and his defender had to make goal saving interventions.  On 69 a cross from the left into the box reached Carl Owen who blazed over although looking offside.  Caernarfon continued to press but on 80 a clearance into the visitors half set Ryan Jones (Sub) back after a long injury lay off free and on a path for goal and Pritchard hared out of his goal yards up field to foul the pacey winger for a straight red and as last man.  Sub Damian Balionski took over between the sticks and straight away made a good save from Kenleigh Owen.  The visitors were now pushing Holyhead even further back and on 87 a Williams cross from the left saw Carl Jones make a top class save from Thomas’ header.  With time running out the corner on the left by Williams reached Carl Owen in the heart of the goalmouth who turned and lashed home in dramatic style.

(Extra-time).  Ryan Jones and Gareth Jones Evans good efforts on 92 and 95 but on 101 the visitors took the lead when a ball across the area found Darren Thomas who finished clinically past Jones.  Despite down to 10 the visitors looked strong but this all changed with the Myles Jones show on 112 Jones buried a pass inside the box past the keeper.  Three minutes later Ryan Jones to namesake Myles who converted with aplomb to make it amazingly 3-2.  However, down the other end sub Matty Herdman hit outside of the post, but on 119 a minute from the end Mike Kelly was twice denied by keeper the ball coming to Myles Jones who rammed home to win the game.   Extraordinary, and one could not have written the script!

Gareth M Davies

Photograph by Award Photography