News from the New Stadium

carl jones with yet another interception Flint United vs Holyhead HotspurWhile always in with a chance of getting something out of the game with only one goal the difference between the two sides, Flint’s Jamie Petrie breaking the deadlock seven minutes after the break which would win the three points for the hosts, Holyhead Hotspur can have few real complaints at the final outcome.
Indeed Hotspur keeper Carl Jones (together with some poor finishing) kept the visitors in the game with several top class saves which included a penalty just before the deciding goal. 

After a poor first half Campbell Harrison’s men did have an equal share of the game in the second period but failed to make enough clear cut chances to make a difference while the hosts could have added to their score.

Harrison was not happy with his side after the game and will demand a big improvement when his charges are at home to Gresford Athletic this weekend 2.30 kick off and also host Porthmadog 7.30 pm kick off the following Tuesday (September 1st).  Indeed the next five league and cup fixtures are all at home so a good chance to get on the right track.

On Saturday already with four newcomers in the side the Manager added a debut to another in left back Kieran Hilditch while Flint also paraded a number of new players on view.

It was Hotspur who were first to show when on five minutes recent acquisition Damian Ketley who opened his account last Saturday broke clear past his defender on the right but Ross Dalton managed to block the strikers tight angled effort at the near post.  At the other end Jaden Hall progressed far too easily past defenders into the box crossing to the unmarked Simon Thelwell who needed too much time and in a hectic scramble in the goalmouth Carl Jones pushed the first attempt onto the woodwork and from the rebound the second effort was brilliantly saved point blank by Jones.  At the other end Ketley hit a shot first time past the post but on ten another fine Jones intervention denied Hall the ball coming out to Liam Hynes who shot wide from an excellent opportunity.  On 16 Thelwell to Hynes who lobbed the keeper but wide of the far post.  The hosts should have been ahead by now and Thelwell scooped over another decent chance on 26, while Hotspur’s Ryan Booth headed over from a Kieran Hilditch long throw.  As the break approached Hotspur were coming more into the game.  (HT 0-0)

Two minutes into the second half Jamie Petrie on the right for Flint broke into the area near the byline only to be impeded by Jones the referee pointing to the spot but no booking etc, Thelwell struck the spot kick well but Jones to his left brought off a superb diving save for a corner.  Not long after Hotspur’s Ketley appeared to be pulled back inside the box but nothing given.  However, the goal Flint had threatened eventually arrived on 52, Craig Jones threaded through a fine ball into the area down the middle finding Jamie Petrie into the area who although tightly marked evaded a tackle and produced a clinical low finish past Jones.  On 56 Hotspur got back into it when a poor clearance by Dalton reached Ryan Jones who advanced on goal but his shot was saved low down the keeper redeeming himself.

At times the pressing of both teams was of poor quality but on 75 Flint sub Kyle Smyth first tested Jones and a minute later rifled a shot just past the upright.  Hotspur could not be faulted for their effort and commitment but with just one man foraging up front were not able to test their opponents enough with even half decent opportunities and the hosts saw the game out for their first points of the new campaign.

Hotspur team – Carl Jones, Brendun Hogan, Kieran Hilditch, Ryan Booth, Alex Jones, Rhys Roberts(c), Ryan Jones, Jamie Roberts, Damian Ketley, Mike Kelly, Kenleigh Owen, subs Mel McGinness, Dan McGinness, Jason Owen.

Match report by Gareth M Davies