News from the New Stadium

hotspur v buckley 5th septemberHolyhead Hotspur’s close season signing Damian Ketley has become something of a ‘lucky omen’ so far in this campaign.  In Hotspur’s two victories thus far he has been the match winner on both occasions, on the opening day of the season against Caersws and again early in Saturday’s fixture at the New Stadium against Buckley Town, the two matches won by Ketley’s solitary strike.

Hotspur Manager Campbell Harrison will be very happy to have taken all three points, However the visitors will feel with some justification they should have taken something back to Flintshire after having much the better of the second half exchanges and also hitting the goal framework a couple of times.  Having said that Carl Jones in Holyhead’s goal was in excellent form while the defence again made a big contribution in securing a maximum return of points.

Hotspur’s first five games (four at home) have seen two wins, two draws and a one goal defeat at Flint.  Not a bad return from a league which becomes more competitive every season.  Harrison’s men have a break from their league programme on Tuesday when new Welsh Premier League Club Llandudno came calling in the Word Cup, Hotspur’s first venture into the FAW competition.  This is followed by another home game this coming Saturday against Guilsfield in the first round of the HGA League Cup 2.30 pm kick off.

download the match programmeAfter a nip and tuck start the visitors came very close to taking the lead on 7 minutes, Phil Molyneux broke very quickly down the left into the penalty area and his rasping drive struck the far post and deflected to safety.  After Jamie Roberts had a shot saved by Ben Jones on 9 Hotspur took the lead two minutes later, Roberts again involved his shot not gathered and Damian Ketley quick to react and although given close attention by keeper Ben Jones managed to squeeze the ball near post from a very tight angle across the goalmouth into the net via the far stick.

At the other end Carl Jones mad a fine diving save to his right from a free kick by Dan Sullivan.  The game was seeing some lively exchanges and on 25 Mike Kelly fed Damian Ketley whose shot deflected for a corner.  Buckley’s Adam Eden then found Phil Molyneux who fired just over on 36 but Hotspur held the one goal lead at the break.  (HT 1-0)

Buckley began to enjoy more possession as the second half continued but on 56 Hotspur broke quickly and Ketley went close to adding his second goal but just wide.  On the hour sub Ryan Booth was close following a good run by the influential Dewi Thomas as back in midfield enabling new signing central defender Dan Gwynne to come in with Alex Jones recovering from his arm injury.

The Glove Way side now putting a lot of pressure on the Hotspur goal and after a Dan Sullivan shot was covered by Carl Jones the visitors again came close, full back Kyle Reid pumped a good ball up to Lee Davey in the box who turned smartly and his shot struck the angle of post and crossbar on 66.  Holyhead needed a second goal with Buckley threatening and an effort was cleared off the home goal line on 70, and after Gwynne had made a fine tackle to thwart Molyneux this was followed in turn by an even better one from captain Rhys Roberts after his keeper had taken the sting out of an effort on 85.  Carl Jones then somehow made a point blank save in the busy goalmouth as Buckley tried everything to draw level and sub Eddie Jebb was just wide on 89.  Not enough and Holyhead took the three points.

Report by Gareth M Davies