News from the New Stadium

denbigh town standFriday the 13th is deemed unlucky for some and in this case Campbell Harrison’s men at Denbigh Town on Friday night.  However, the old adage if you don’t put your chances away it could come back to haunt you certainly rang true at the Central Ground, the visitors kicking themselves they did not travel back to Holy Island with at least a point from a cracking encounter which on the balance of the second half they deserved.  The hosts took two opportunities while Hotspur only capitalised on one squandering several golden chances to even win the game.

Hotspur had as much of the contest as the home team while Denbigh’s forte is to counter attack at pace.  After a first half stalemate Mark Roberts put Denbigh ahead on 55 and Kristian Pierce increased it twenty minutes later only for Dean Garmey to put his side back in it a couple of minutes after.  Young Jamie Roberts had two gilt edged chances to put a different aspect on the result along with Dewi Thomas who also created good opportunities for himself but the hosts held on to continue their impressive run of form this season.

Holyhead will hope to get back on track this coming Saturday after four league games without a win when facing another stiff task at home to Holywell Town at the New Stadium 2.30 pm kick off.

Nip and tuck in an end to end start (as it would continue throughout) and Kristen Pierce fired an early chance straight at Carl Jones.  Just after a corner on the left saw Denbigh keeper Elliott Power not know much about an effort which rebounded off him and away.  Pierce and Warren Duckett had half chances but on 28 Pierce lost the ball on half way and Mike Kelly sped for goal looking dangerous only for a fine tackle by Mike Sharples to prevent the hosts looking like going behind.  On the half hour Carl Jones was out of goal in a flash to rescue a defensive lapse and in action again on 36 to deny Carl Lamb.  Just after a promising Hotspur move ended with a corner on the right by Kenleigh Owen which reached Captain and central defender Rhys Roberts at the far post who headed invitingly across the goalmouth but no one there to take advantage.  (HT 0-0)

Phil Williams’s good effort held by Power while at the other end Matty Hughes headed over after a good Jones save and on 52 Dave Macintyre shot just over.  On 55 the hosts went ahead when Mark Roberts finished off his own fine run into the box with a stinging drive into the bottom corner despite Jones getting something on it.  Just four minutes later the ball found Jamie Roberts in front of goal unmarked but youngster scooped over a gilt edged chance.  Jones saved from Duckett and on 65 Power dropped a free kick by Owen but it was cleared.  Hotspur pressure and Dewi Thomas went on a great run leaving defenders in his wake but a fine defensive block prevented him pressing the trigger.  The second half was developing into a fine encounter and after Phil Williams and Damian Ketley had half chances Hotspur went two down.  It came on 75 after an excellent Denbigh build up to Kristian Pierce who rifled into the bottom corner from just inside the area.  Two minutes later Holyhead back in it, following a free kick by Kenleigh Owen the ball was slipped to Dean Garmey on the right who took the ball towards goal before expertly sliding the ball past the advancing Power.  On 88 Thomas again got himself into a great position but was again denied by more last ditch defending.  Then came an amazing let off for the hosts, Dean Garmey on the right squared the ball across the goalmouth to Jamie Roberts almost on the goal line who somehow contrived to hit the cross bar from point blank range!  Matty Hughes hit the post for Denbigh in added on time.

Match report by Gareth M Davies

Holyhead Hotspur – Carl Jones, Corey Jones, Kenleigh Owen, Alex Jones, Rhys Roberts, Phil Williams, Dean Garmey, Dewi Thomas, Damian Ketley, Jamie Roberts, Mike Kelly, subs Mike Edwards, Danny Connolly, Dillon Roberts