News from the New Stadium

guilsfield standPast results between Guilsfield and Holyhead Hotspur have usually gone in the Mid-Wales club’s favour.  However, not this time as Dean Garmey’s last gasp decider won all three points and at the same time gave Campbell Harrison’s men a vital boost before next Saturday’s much anticipated FAW Welsh Cup Third Round tie at home to Bangor City.  It also gave a warning to their Welsh Premier opponents that there is plenty of character and desire in the Hotspur team in what turned out to be a thrilling finale with three goals in the final seven minutes which included added on time. 

The Guils had gone ahead after twenty five minutes only for Damian Ketley to draw Hotspur level three minutes later.  The game played in heavy rain and strong winds ebbed and flowed in the second period but came to life with five minutes to go through Mike Kelly and Hotspur must have thought then they had won, but back came the Guils and sub Danny Barton who has been a thorn in Holyhead’s side in the past put his side level on 89 minutes. Holyhead settle for a draw? Not a bit of it and Mike Kelly involved throughout took a fine pass from Corey Jones to flash the ball across to Dean Garmey who smashed the ball home to win the game, much to the delight of Hotspur camp.

Carl Jones fine save early on while the defence settled in the poor conditions.  The hosts went ahead on 25, Holyhead lost possession – Jack Richards broke through and shot home.  Hotspur battled to get back in the game and on 28 drew level.  A ball went out to Mike Kelly on the right who played a cracking first time ball to Damian Ketley who although under pressure managed to get his shot home past Ashley Roberts.  (HT 1-1)

Both sides had chances in second half Jamie Roberts for the visitors hitting the keeper when he should have hit the net while Hotspur’s defence coped well as the elements got worse.  However, the game really took off late on.  On 82 Mike Kelly showed great persistence to shrug off defenders and put the ball beyond the keeper to give the visitors the lead, only for Guilsfield to hit back on 89 when Danny Barton shot home after a shot hit the post.  Then came the ‘Deano’ sting in the tail when Kelly who was involved in all three goals took a fine pass from Corey Jones and crossed for Dean Garmey to take all three points back to Holy Island.

Match report by Gareth M Davies