News from the New Stadium

holyhead hotspur celebrate win over rhayader townWithout game for four weeks Campbell Harrison’s men struggled to break through in the first half against Huws Gray Alliance strugglers Rhayader Town despite going close several times through Phil Williams (twice), Alex Jones, Jamie Roberts and Damian Ketley.

However, once Williams had made it third time lucky with the opening goal on the hour it was plain sailing with further strikes from Alex Jones just after and a rocket from Corey Jones to seal an emphatic victory.  It was a welcome three points for the Hotspur side who controlled the game almost throughout although the visitors were resolute opponents in the first 45 minutes keeping Holyhead at bay while any efforts on the break by the mid-Wales side were well marshalled by the home team.

With two away games against Prestatyn Town (this Saturday) and Conwy Borough to follow before the Welsh Cup tie against Bala Town on Feb 6th Manager Campbell Harrison will have been pleased with the second half performance hoping to push on in the next couple of league fixtures and climb up the table.

The first 15 minutes saw Hotspur gradually gain the ascendency with Alex Jones close to giving his side the lead, his header scraping the top of the net after a Jamie Roberts free kick.

Play was scrappy at times as Hotspur looked for the breakthrough and the nearest the visitors came to scoring was when Hotspur keeper Carl Jones had to tip over from one of his own players!  On 32 Jamie Roberts almost got Damian Ketley in, but at 35 Hotspur came closest yet when Phil Williams met Mike Kelly’s fine cross but directed his firm header inches the wrong side of the upright.  A minute later Kenleigh Owen to Jamie Roberts who looked odds on but keeper Luke Evans saved well with his legs.  On 40 Alex Jones went on a good run and a fine move also involving Mike Kelly and Damian Ketley saw Williams header past the near post.  Just before the break a strong challenge with a Hotspur player (crunching) saw Evans injured.  (HT 0-0)

Evans continued after the break although obviously handicapped via his leg injury as Hotspur piled on the pressure going close a couple of times.  It was no surprise when the hosts eventually took the lead just before the hour – Brendun Hogan on the right produced a fine searching cross to the far stick which Dean Garmey headed into the path of Phil Williams who this time made no mistake lashing home past Evans.  Just after Mike Kelly crossed from the right and Damian Ketley headed over.

Hotspur continued to push forward and on 64 it was 2-0 and this time Kelly was the provider from the same flank finding the head of Alex Jones whose downward header finished past Evans.  It was all Hotspur now in full control although the visitors tried on the occasion to try and come back into it.  However, with time running out on 90 minutes Mike Edwards did well to find Corey Jones in space who unleashed a screamer from 20 yards which fairly zipped past Evans to make it game, set and match in no uncertain manner with much style.

Match report by Gareth M Davies and photograph by Award Photography

Hotspur Team – Carl Jones, Brendun Hogan, Kenleigh Owen, Corey Jones, Alex Jones, Dewi Thomas, Mike Kelly c, Phil Williams, Damian Ketley, Jamie Roberts, Dean Garmey, subs used Mike Edwards and Ryan Jones, sub not used Rhys Roberts

Rhayader Team – Luke Evans, Joe Wozencraft, Tom Wozencraft, Gavin Samuel, Jason Jones, Dylan McPhee, Sean Powell, Rhydian Davies, Gethin Jones, Dafydd Carruthers, Gwion Ap Dafydd. Sub used Christian Jones