News from the New Stadium

Two first half goals by Adam Jenkins one a penalty sunk Holyhead Hotspur at mid-Wales Guilsfield which could have been worse by the break as another spot-kick denied him a hat trick when he failed to convert. A slip-shod first 45 minutes by Campbell Harrison's team saw their defence exposed on either flank and the half time   whistle came with the relief that the hosts didn’t have more goals in the bank.

The second period saw a much more purposeful display by the Holy islanders as they tried to work their way back into the game with Mel McGinness working his socks off up front trying to make things happen. Two goal bound efforts were kicked off the line but the home team could also have added to their score.
Hotspur had been slow off the blocks as the hosts looked sharp and hungry, however the second half showing will give some encouragement for the home league fixture with Conwy Borough this Wednesday (31st August at 7:30pm) while the weekend see’s Harrison’s men travel to newly promoted Ruthin Town, from the Welsh National League (Wrexham area.) This will be followed by a visit to Welsh premier club Llandudno on Tuesday 6th September, kick off &:30pm in the first round of the F.A.W. word cup. With the Hotspur hoping to repeat last season’s success against the seaside’s.
Hotspur were the first to press forward and a low cross from the left by Dewi Thomas passed across the goalmouth begging to be put away but no one was on hand to get the vital touch. At the other end there was a warning of things to come when from a corner on the left a header from Sam Litchfield was too close for comfort in the 4th minute. Just after a cross Via Jack Richards reached Adam Jenkins whose first shot was well saved low down by Paul Pritchard. Hotspur were under pressure and on the 8th minute Guilsfiled took the lead, captain Gareth Jones delivered a perfect ball from the left to the far post where Adam Jenkins was lurking to have enough time to control and whip the ball home inside the upright. Hotspur were relying on break always and where McGinness found space he was closed down with his back up slow moving. The home side looked sharp and the busy Pritchard had to tip away to safety on 18 minutes, while another shout from the left went wide. In the 23rd minute the hosts went two up, a fierier shout struck the post and rebounded to home team player, the first effort was blocked but the second struck Ken Leigh Owen the referee ruling it struck his hand despite strong protests it hit his body. Despite a somewhat harsh decision Jenkins gave Pritchard no chance form the spot. Guilsfiled went for the kill and while Gareth Jones header home from a Chris Catchall cross it was rightly ruled out for a foul. Pritchard did well to carry on and deny Richard’s but on 31 minutes Jenkins had a chance of a hat-trick after Rhys Roberts was guilty of pushing in the area. This time his effort was pushed on to the post by the keeper.
Half Time 2-0.
It was more of an even contest in the Second Half with the home keeper having to race out and head clear from McGinnes while manager Campbell Harrison put on sub Deion Evens and Gavin Sharpe. In the 67 minuet a corner on the right by Owen saw Rhys Roberts header cleared off the line and another goalbound chance delivered wide. However the hosts still dangerous and went close again before the end.
Gareth M. Davies.