News from the New Stadium

Campbell Harrison’s Holyhead Hotspur remained winless after four games of the new season while Wednesday night’s opponents Conwy Bror notched up their first win and first win and points of the 2016/17 campaign. The visitors just about shaded a highly competitive encounter which ebbed and flowed from first minute to last.

Joe Chaplin was Conwy’s match winner in the 83rd minute after Mel McGinness had brought Hotspur level with 20 minutes to go while Chaplin had earlier put the visitors in front just after the half hour.
However the game was to finish on a sour note as five minutes from the end Conwy keeper John Burns suffered a serious ankle injury and play was held up while he was attend and transferred to hospital. The hosts had time to put pressure on the Conwy outfield stand in keeper but failed to trouble him between the sticks. The Holy Islanders will have a quick opportunity to get on the winning track when visiting Ruthin Town this weekend (Kick off 2:30pm) but will have to make the most of any opportunities that come their way, although against Bror we were unlucky to hit to goal framework twice.
The end to end game started with Mel McGinness braking free on the left after just a couple of minutes but he lost control at a vital moment. At the other end Jamie Parker played the ball across the goalmouth to Luke Robinson who forced Paul Pritchard into a save low down. Conway Keeper Burns then raced out of goal to lend a dangerous situation from Peter Jones in the 7th minute. The game was nip and toe until on the 16th minute a good link-up on the right invited Dewi Thomas and Jack Griffiths ended with the latter shooting just wide of the far post. Both keepers had to be alert in a good open contest and on the half hour a fine penetrating run down left by Peter Jones saw him deliver a good cross into Griffiths but his header lacked direction when he should have at least hit the target. The hosts were to rue the miss two minutes later when after good work by Luke Robinson on the left the ball fell to Joe Chaplin who clinically finished past the seemingly unsighted Pritchard on 32 minutes. In the 37th minutes Corey Jones almost got through, but with 41 minutes on the clock following a corner on the right by Owen Rhys Roberts far post header clipped the equaliser.
Half Time 1-1.
Just two minutes into the second stanza Hotspur came close- a corner on the right by Owen saw Roberts head back across goal met by Corey Jones whose header rattled the bar. However at the other end Conwy should have increased their lead when the ball ran close in the goalmouth.
Hotspur now enjoying a lot of possession but the visitors were a dogged outfit and Corey Jones again came close from a set piece and in the 64 minuet Owen shot in others past through a rack of players. The hosts got their just reward on 70 which owed much to the effort on Rhys Roberts intervention and reading the situation to thread a perfect ball to set Mel McGinness on a one on one with the keeper and after rounding him the diminutive striker stroked home. 
It was anyone’s game now with Bror still dangerous on the break but Hotspur again came close when a goal bound effort was cleared off the line. Then came the winner in the 83rd minutes Parker on the right broke free and his shot was well pushed away by Pritchard but only to Joe Chaplin who headed instantly past the helpless keeper for his brace. Am injury to their keeper when preventing danger. When play resumed Hotspur could not find a way back but may have deserved a point.
Gareth M. Davies