News from the New Stadium

Holyhead Hotspur manager Campbell Harrison and assistant Darren Garmey were at a loss to explain how their team had somehow missed numerous opportunities to take a commanding lead (game over) into the break at Ruthin although having said that they were indebted to keeper Paul Pritchard’s outstretched right foot to prevent the host taking an undeserved lead into the dressing room just before the half-time whistle.

The host took heart from Hotspur’s inability to convert their chances and played with far more verve and conviction in the second period taking the lead on the hour and looking capable of adding to it as Hotspur struggled to make an impact until the smallest player on the pitch Mel McGinness rose highest to give the visitors something to take home.
Ruthin threatened to regain the lead with five minutes plus stoppage time left but in the last kick of the match Hotspur sub Callum McMinimee had a great chance of making things all right for the Holy Islanders but shot wide. However the points should have been in the bag by half-time and Hotspur have only themselves to blame.
It was Ruthin’s first point of the season and HolyHead’s third out of fifteen as Harrison’s men travel to Llandudno on Tuesday night for a ‘Word Cup’ first round tie, while this coming Saturday they host Mold Alexandra (Kick off 2:30pm) who were at the back end of a 0-12 home thrashing last Saturday!
Hotspur had early pressure and in the 8th minuet Mell McGinness was impeded and from Ken Leigh Owens free kick Dean Garmey Headed wide. Ruthin responded and Paul Pritchard was out of goal quickly to clear from Llys Morris. Hotspur gaining control and on 20 minuet’s Rhys Roberts slipped a fine ball to McGinness in one on one with keeper Dylan Jones who did very well to deflect his shot wide. At the other end Luke Humphrey who was positioned at the side post should have done better than heading into the side netting. Holyhead pushing forward and Mike Kelly crossed to Jack Griffiths who failed to connect in a good position. In the 31st minuet Kelly’s fine ball slipped to McGinness who put a clear chance wide and again just a minuet later the defence opened up but again unlike him he failed to find the target. Further Frustration as Deion Evens on for his fist start clipped the bar. Jones then made a fine save from McGinness while Roberts headed just wide. A corner on the right saw Alex Jones header smack against the framework as this spell had seen over half a dozen opportunities go begging! As what often happens just before the break Sean Cottrell on the left was unmarked and sped for goal but Pritchard saved and certain goal with his foot.
Half-Time 0-0
Hotspur straight back on attack and McGinness and Dewi Thomas were off target while Evens shot straight at the keeper in the 52 minuet. The visitors should have been out of sight by now but ‘sods law’ as on the hour Ruthin sub Will Owen did really well to thread through to Llyr Morris shot produced a clinical finish into the top corner. Both sides attacking in turn and Morris broke through again to shoot just wide. With 5 minuet’s remaining Holyhead got the goal they deserved, a high ball from the left saw McGinness, despite being under pressure he out jumped (like a salmon) the defence and keeper to get enough on a header to get the ball over the line. Ruthin rallied back and from two free kicks on the edge of the box went close. However Hotspur almost and should have had the last word when a great chance came to Callum McMinimee but he slid wide. 
Gareth M. Davies