News from the New Stadium

Holyhead Hotspur celebrated their first three points of the season against Mold Alexandra and the real hero was Mel McGinness who hit the first six goals of the eight (two hat-tricks, one in each half) that Campbell Harrisons men notched up against their hapless opponents, who have conceded 20 goals in their last two games. Hotspur who have found goals hard to come by in recent weeks thrived on the situation completed the rout via Rhys Roberts and Jack Griffiths although it is not sure if McGinness will receive two match ball’s!

Nathan Munroe got a deserved consolation for Alex just before the end which could have been added to with more composure but it was a much needed confidence booster for Harrison’s team before the much sterner test this week on Wednesday at Caernarfon Town (kick off 7:30pm) and Flint Town United again away this weekend( kick off 2:30.)
Mel McGinness was in action early on raiding down the right crossing in to Jack Griffiths who picked the wrong time to slip inside the box. Holyhead continued to press and McGinness slipped the ball to Dean Garmey inside the penalty area but keeper Leigh Williams made a good block. At the other end a free kick on the edge of the D by Lee Jones was closed down well by Hotspurs wall. The hosts took the lead in the 14th minuet a ball through the middle of Mold’s defence was latched on to by McGinness who found the met with a clinical finish. Four minuets later it was 2-0. a flag kick on the right by Ken Leigh Owen was headed back into the centre of the goal mouth where the lurking McGinness was first to react fired high into the net. Further efforts from Alex Jones and Deion Evens followed as manager less Mold with interim boss Ken Pricen in charge struggles to compete although never afraid to venture forward. However on 40 Hotspur went three goals to the good when some fine link play with three or more players combined to set up that man McGinness for his first hat-trick who finished with as plumb. Just before the brake the visitors put a good chance together but Callum Lavelle shot straight at Paul Pritchard.
Half Time 3-0.
The second half started with Dean Garmey bringing out a fine save from William’s but Mold should have done better when Cy Sullivan found Lee Jones in a promising situation but he shot over. It was goal number four for Mel McGinness, and the best of the lot in the 52 minuet when he went on a superb run starting form the right, leaving defenders in his wake before shooting sublimely into the far corner. To their credit although very suspect at the back Mold pushed forward at every chance and Pritchard had to be alert at the foot of the post, which on 63 form a breakaway Jones saw his crisp shot rattle the post. You know who was at it again in the 65th minuet a long punt forward by Pritchard found McGinness on the right who managed to squeeze the ball home and three minuets later it was six as the irrepressible little striker hooked over the bemused defence as they struggled to clear, a sort of players no 6 if you get the drift!
Hotspur still looking for more and in the 73rd minuet it was number 7 when from a free kick on the right by Ken Leigh Owen Rhys Roberts headed firmly home. While the final eighth goal had to have McGinness involved, this time as a provider putting the ball perfectly into the path of Jack Griffiths who lobbed the keeper as he came put. The visitors earned their consolation at the end when Jones crosses for lanky ‘Crouch like’ Nathan Munro to slip home, but it was the little man who laughed last.
Hotspur won’t meet such generous defence again this season but you can only beat the team in front of you.
Gareth M. Davies