News from the New Stadium

Campbell Harrison’s Hotspur side gave a good account of themselves at the Oval on Wednesday evening before a crowd of almost 500. At the end of the battling performance against one of the favourites for the league title, we were on the wrong end of a penalty after 20 minutes and a clinching second goal in the third minute of added time.
Hotspur central defender and captain Rhys Roberts was the offender for the spot kick converted by opposite skipper Nathan Craig while Jamie Breeze ended any hopes of a Holyhead comeback just before the final whistle.

The visitors were not helped on the hour by a second yellow card for Roberts but even down to ten men continued to have lots of possession, and as throughout the game pressed forward. But lacked a real cutting edge with Mel McGinness ploughing a lonely furrow upfront.
Keeper Paul Pritchard anxious to impress on his return to his former club made several fine saves when the hosts managed to break through the resolute Holyhead rearguard catching the Canaries offside on numerous occasions.
The Holy Islanders will want to get quickly back on track this coming weekend when visiting Flint Town United at Cae Castell (2.30pm)
Mel McGinness had a shot blocked on 8 and Kevin Lloyd’s shot brought out a fine save for a corner. The hosts were producing swift raids and on 20 minutes went ahead – a free kick into the area saw Rhys Roberts penalised for holding/pushing in the box. Nathan Craig who himself had taken the free kick stepped and sent the penalty into the net although Pritchard almost kept it out.
For Hotspur Deion Evans and Gavin Sharpe had good efforts on goal when the visitors when using the offside trap to good effect. The score was 1-0 at half time.
Hotspur were never out of the game but never really looked threatening, while Pritchard showed the home fans he’d lost none of his exceptional ability from last season by restricting the hosts to just a single goal. However, on the hour mark Roberts received a second yellow and the visitors were down to ten men, against last season’s champions. Hotspur to their credit still enjoyed plenty of possession and while there was just a goal in it there was always a chance they could get something to take back to across the bridge to Ynys Môn.
Mel McGinness broke on a good run in the 76th minute but he shot weakly, he was unable to get further forward as there was a lack of support around him. The hosts with a one man advantage were wasteful around Hotspur’s goal, although Pritchard proved again hard to beat after stopping a shot from Darren Thomas on the goal-line. However, in added time the tie was “done and dusted” when a defence splitting ball through the Hotspur backline found Jamie Breeze who took the ball on and finished with a fine shot inside the far post.
Gareth M. Davies