News from the New Stadium

A depleted Holyhead Hotspur side without the likes of influential players goalkeeper Paul Pritchard, central defenders and captain Rhys Roberts who is serving a one-match suspension. Hotspur who were also missing Alex Jones and Mike one-match no match for a Flint side who could have added to their total but for stand in keeper Connor Hughes who made a number of fine saves to keep Campbell Harrison’s side at least still in the game until the final two goals, which made the score line more convincing for the dominant Hosts.


Hotspur did have a few chances of their own but with last week’s six goal hotshot Mel McGinness deployed in a mid-field role by force the lack of a cutting edge up front was even more pronounced!

It will be expected most of the above absentees will be able to return for this Saturday’s away game at mid Wales Llanfair United who have shown improved form of late. Llanfair United will be another tough test and a chance for Hotspur to hopefully improve on what has been a disappointing start to the new season.
Flint turned on the pressure early on and Richard Foulkes hit just wide in the second minute. However, in the seventh minute Hotspur loanee Peter Jones broke quickly clear of Flint’s back line but his shot into the penalty box made its way weakly past the post. Kyle Smith had another good effort for the hosts which was just put wide and Flint kept up the pressure in the fourteenth minute when Joe Culshaw came closest yet to opening the scoring when he struck the Hotspur’s upright with a rasping shot. On the half-hour mark Peter Jones was upended on the edge of the box but from a promising position the free kick by Kenleigh Owen was not up to his usual standard and Flint cleared easily. At the other end Culshaw crossed from the right but nobody was able to get the vital touch. Flint won a seventh corner and it was a cross again from the right that did the damage in the thirty seventh minute when the visitors defence dithered allowing Kyle Smith to get just about enough of a head to see the ball trickle slowly over the line. Flint continued the pressure and John Davies headed wide from another free kick while Culshaw fired a shot just over the bar in the forty third minute.
Half time 1-0.
On the restart a long throw by Iuean Hewitt saw Steve Cunningham head just over while a sharp Flint looked for their second. A miss hit sliced clearance near the goaline by Ben Hogan went inches over his own bar. Jack Griffiths broke through for Holyhead but his well struck shot was saved at the second attempt by Ben Jones. Further home attempts were repelled by Holyhead but in the fifty eighth minute the home side went two up when a Cunningham shot struck a defender on the hand who in truth could not get out the way. Richard Foulkes’ resulting spot kick beat Hughes who almost kept it out. Just after the hour mark a smart Smith volley brought out a fine save from Hughes, the same two were at it again a couple of minutes later this time Hughes with a great block. With the hosts now well in control and adding another in the sixty seventh minute when from a fine Luke Douglas cross on the right James Hooper’s well directed header flew past Hughes. Hotspur still plugged away but were up against it and the patched up Holyhead side went 4-0 down in the eighty first minute when a superb cross from the right touchline near the corner flag found the head of substitute Andy Brown who guided it home just under the bar. It looked like game set and match but Holyhead has the chance of a consolation goal in added time when Callum McMinimee somehow failed to convert after some good work by Rob Llewellyn Jones set him up.
Gareth M. Davies