News from the New Stadium

Lowly Holyhead Hotspur continued their recent poor run of league results going down to a 90 + 2 minute spot kick, conceded when keeper Paul Pritchard raced from his goal to bring down Alister Gibson who was breaking into a dangerous position. Jack Chaloner converted from the spot to give the Clappers Lane outfit their second away success in a week after their win at Porthmadog by the same   1 – 2 score line the previous Saturday.

Campbell Harrison’s men had won and scored a penalty of their own Asa Thomas brought the hosts level not long after the resumption which cancelled out Max Peate’s goal for the visitors in the 35th minute.

The game played at a good tempo throughout was a real end to end encounter and could have gone either way before Gresford’s sting in the tail while the hosts will play worse and take three points!

The result keeps the Holy Islanders entrenched in the bottom three of the Huws Gray Alliance but at least can enjoy some respite from league matters next Saturday (3rd December) when making a quick return to league leaders Prestatyn Town for a Welsh Cup 3rd Round tie with the hope for some long overdue good fortune.

After a brisk start from both team's Gresford striker Jake Roberts brought a smart save from Paul Pritchard while at the other end Keiran Hilditch’s long throw in caused the visitors to scramble the ball away. Hotspur pressing at this point and Dean Garmey’s lobbed effort forced Mike Pratt to tip over, while a corner on the right from Jay Gibbs saw Mike Kelly just wide after 15 minutes. Roberts in again for the visitors 3 minutes later but Pritchard stood up well to defuse the threat. On 29 Jack Chaloner found Craig Pritchard who worked himself free only to fire inches the wrong side of the far post. It had developed into an open game while Gavin Sharpe had a shot blocked on 32. On 35 Gresford took the lead – a free kick on the right was played into Craig Pritchard whose shot saw Paul Pritchard failing to gather cleanly, the ball falling to Max Peate lurking alongside to stab the ball home.  Still time for efforts at both ends via Pritchard and Gibbs as half time approached  (H/T  0 -1)

A determined looking Hotspur emerged for the second half and on 51 drew level. Mel McGinness began the move which moved on to Asa Thomas who weaved his way across the box until pulled down. Thomas himself grabbed the ball and struck the resultant penalty hard and low past Platt. Game on now but Gresford without a draw this season showed why with plenty of running and David McIntyre shot wide from a good position as the game ebbed and flowed – both teams going for all three points as subs put on by both sides to try and break the dead lock. Hotspur in particular needing to win to pull away from basement. The hosts were not testing the visiting keeper enough as the teams looked for a breakthrough. With time running out it did not look as if either defence would crack but one last throw of the dice saw Alister Gibson break at pace down the left touchline outstripping the home defenders and as he broke into the area Paul Pritchard  came tearing out to bring him down.  A clear spot kick and Jack Chalinor sent the visitors into delirium by shooting the winner with no time to restart the game. Tough on Hotspur but Gresford had been enterprising throughout.
Gareth M Davies