News from the New Stadium

After a bleak spell which has seen Holyhead Hotspur plunge to the lower reaches of the Huws Gray Alliance league Campbell Harrison’s side returned to winning ways at fellow strugglers Mid Wales Penrhyncoch to gain a much needed three points which will hopefully re kick start their season and begin to move them up the league table. On a very wet pitch and played in heavy rain almost throughout Hotspur took a two goal interval lead into the dressing room via central defender Alex Jones for the second successive game and an audacious 35 yard strike from Mel McGinness, and while under pressure from the hosts for long periods after the break defended resolutely aided by some fine goalkeeping by Paul Pritchard. Cory Jones sealed the welcome win late on with a cracker into the top corner from just outside the penalty box.

The confidence and belief from the previous week’s display at Prestatyn Town in the Welsh Cup was much in evidence here with a fine tenacious performance, and this heart warming display will put Harrison’s team in good shape for this week’s Huws Gray Alliance home league fixture with Guilsfield (note the kick off time is 2pm)
Hosts on the front foot early on with Jon Evans’s  good run but he shot over on 12, while Liam Jaques found Owain James who flicked just past the upright. However it was Holyhead that forged ahead on 20. A shot was deflected for a corner on the right – Mel McGinness looped the flag kick into a crowded goalmouth, Alex Jones got his head to the ball which came down to Cory Jones who forced the ball back to Alex Jones who swiveled to stab the ball home. Hotspur continued to press and a good interchange ended with Brendan Hogan shooting over. On 27 Jon Evans’s first time effort looked goal bound but Paul  Pritchard flinging himself to his left brought off a superb save just after Jaques fired just over on the half hour. Hotspur increased their lead on 31 nothing looked on but Mel McGinness spotting keenly that keeper Leigh Jennings was just a little off his line produced an expertly flighted effort over the stunned custodian from easily 35 yards. This was a real tonic for the visitors with a series of half chances at both ends  (Half Time 0 -2)
Just a minute into the second half Asa Thomas fed Dean Garmey who struck just wide. On 49 Jon Evans broke through but Pritchard again equal to it by turning to tip the ball over the bar. There was almost an own goal when a Hotspur defender played the ball goal wards but Pritchard was alert to the situation. The hosts approach work was good but their final ball was poor as Hotspur somehow cleared a goalmouth scramble while Pritchard had to tip a header onto the top of the crossbar on 67. He was again busy tipping away a cross as Hotspur were now backs to the wall but defending stoutly. However the visitors nerves were eased on 82 as Hotspur made the game safe after that man Mel McGinness on the right crossed into the middle finding Cory Jones who thundered his shot from just outside the penalty area firing into the top corner.
There was still time to nearly add a fourth when Rob Llewelyn Jones on as a sub was most unfortunate to see his well struck shot strike the base of the post and away to safety. However the damage was already done and it was a happy bus load on the long trip back to Holy Island.

Gareth M Davies