News from the New Stadium

Holyhead Hotspur’s Gavin Sharpe had not featured too strongly in Campbell Harrison’s teams this season but the last few games has seen him gather growing confidence which no doubt reached a peak following his 25 yard plus stunning strike which won him his sides all three points. In terrific style which will guarantee the perfect Christmas present for himself, his team and Hotspur supporters. Sharpe’s goal nine minutes from time had come after Corey Jones had brought Hotspur level a few minutes after the break which cancelled out Guilsfield’s 42 minute opener by Louis Irvine.

Holyhead’s win on the back of the previous weeks excellent three points at Penrhyncoch augers well for the second half of the campaign with the Holy Islanders hoping to pull away from the lower reaches of the Huws Gray Alliance. The hard earned three points in a good contest against always tough opponents continued the renewed belief of the side which was epitomized by Sharpe’s goal.

It will put Hotspur in good heart before the next league fixture at Conwy Borough on Tuesday 27th December with a 2.30pm kick off and the league Cup tie against Buckley Town on New Year’s eve Saturday 31st December with a 1pm kick off PLEASE NOTE THE KICK OFF TIME.

After a nip and tuck start with both teams testing each other Hotspur came close to taking the lead on 14 minutes – a ball from the right was retrieved by Mel Mc Ginness who did well to get his shot in which struck the cross bar while a few minutes later Alex Jones headed over from a corner. On 19 minutes a Mel Mc Ginness free kick picked out Dean Garmey whose free header lacked direction. The mid-Wales visitors were quick on the break and on 27 when Danny Barton laid the ball off well to Sam Littleford keeper Paul Pritchard got sown smartly to snuff the danger out. On 29 minutes Mike Kelly’s shot was eventually scrambled away  before at the other end Mark Davies again brought Pritchard into action. However on 42 minutes the visitors took the lead – a free kick wide out on the right by Jack Richards at pace was quickly latched on to by Louis Irvine who hooked first time into the far corner.   (Half Time  0 - 1)

Hotspur caught the visitors cold just after the restart Dan Mc Ginness released brother Mel down the right who quickly dispatched a super cross behind the back four to the unmarked Corey Jones whose shot had enough to beat keeper Dave Littleford despite him getting something on it. The second period saw both sides having their moments but the man in the middle incurred the wrath of both sides re his non decisions! One sensed that the next goal by either side would be decisive with the experienced campaigner Danny Barton leading the line well for the Guils which for Hotspur also saw Mel Mc Ginness his usual menacing self.  So it was perhaps a surprise that it was Gavin Sharpe who would be the ‘hero’ – nothing looked on when from over 25 yards he expertly executed a curling effort into the top corner for a classic ‘If you don’t ask you don’t get’ scenario or perhaps with a name like Sharpe it would be a perfect ‘Cutting Edge’!

In the remaining minutes Guilsfield let their frustration get the better of them and captain Gareth Jones was shown the red card for violent conduct but Hotspur held out for a precious win. 

Gareth M Davies.