News from the New Stadium

Two goals from Dean Garmey, his second a spectacular strike from distance and a 90th-minute winner of rare quality via Mel McGinness earned Campbell Harrison’s team their third league win on the bounce and a timely rise up the Huws Grey Alliance league table. However hosts Conwy Borough themselves too close for comfort to the relegation places were spirited opposition and gave a rejuvenated Hotspur side a real run for their money at Y Morfa but the Holy Islanders had that vital extra quality epitomised by two of their strikers Garmey and McGinness.

Following their excellent performance in taking league leaders Prestatyn to the wire in the Welsh Cup Hotspur have followed it up with 9 points out of 9 and as this is their latest win against the Musselmen the confidence grows with each game and augers well for the new year and hopefully a good run in the Huws Grey Alliance League Cup. Begining with the home tie this weekend against Buckley Town, 1pm, December 31st.
After a good tempo start by both teams Hotspur took the lead after 21 minutes, Mel McGinness made a fine run from the right, his shot brining out a good save for a corner from home keeper Scott Williams from the flag kick on the left by McGinness himself Alex Jones launched a fine header goalwards met by a lurking Dean Garmey who in turn guided it home. The youthful hosts responded and both Dewi Thomas and Alex Jones made good blocks to deny Joe Chaplin. However Conwy did draw level on 37, a corner on the right by Jordan Brierley saw the impressive Neil Harvey get in a strong header goalwards only for Garmey to clear off the line but the ball went straight out to Joe Chaplin who squeezed the ball home in a crowded goal-mouth. Hotspur had taken a good hold of the game early but Borough had come more into the game by the break. (Half time 1-1.)
It became an excellent contest in the second period with both sides needing the 3 points. The defences were working overtime and on the 65th minute a penetrating run from the left by Asa Thomas hit the side netting. Holyhead were becoming the driving force with the hosts always a threat, but with 81 minutes on the clock Hotspur forged ahead again following a threat on the home rearguard the ball came out to Dean Garmey about 25 yards out in centre-field and his first time shot rocketed past Williams. Five minutes later with the game still on a knife edge Conwy drew level for a second time. Substitute Jack Griffiths was too short with the ball back to his defender enabling Marcus Breese to intervene breaking down the left and his cross into the near post found Neil Harvey who slipped the ball home passed Pritchard.
It was all hands (and feet) to the pump now as both teams went for it and in the 90th minute Jack Griffiths on the right made amends for his mistake minutes earlier crossing into Mel McGinness who made ground into the area taking the ball on his chest turning and volleying home in one movement hammering the ball passed a startled keeper for a strike of true quality rarely seen in non-league football. There was still time for Williams to deny Asa Thomas with a fine block but all three points were safely gathered by Hotspur.
Gareth M Davies.