News from the New Stadium

Holyhead Hotspur’s much-improved form of late came to an abrupt halt against Ruthin Town when a goal 5 minutes into added time saw the visitors take all three points back to North East Wales.

Campbell Harrison’s men were up against it from the 24th minute when the influential Dean Garmey was red carded somewhat needlessly for apparent violent conduct. However after the visitors had gone ahead just before the hour via Garmon Hafal the disadvantaged hosts battled back well and looked to have salvaged at least a point when Mike Kelly hooked home with just 5 minutes of normal time remaining. Both teams went for the jugular in a frantic finale with another six minutes of added time and went close at either end but in the 5th minute of added time it was Ruthin Town who emerged victorious following a quick break resulting in Osian Davies converting a cross from Patrick Hinchcliffe although to be fair looking suspiciously offside together with the assistant referee failing to keep up with play!!

Hotspur will want to put the disappointment behind them this coming weekend when they visit old rivals Holywell Town (kick off 2.30pm)  but they are well capable of a good result.

Hotspur began on the front foot and Ruthin keeper Dylan Jones had to tip over the bar an Asa Thomas free kick while a corner by Dean Garmey saw Corey Jones head wide on 4. On 15 Dan McGinness almost got his brother in at the near post but Jones smothered just in time. Just after Paul Pritchard saved near down at his near post on 20. Then came the incident which saw Dean Garmey receive his marching orders, however Hotspur still took the game to the visitors and on 36 a fine run by Asa Thomas on the left ended with Gavin Sharpe firing just wide of the far post. Sharpe then placed Thomas through in front of goal but his shot lacked venom and went harmlessly through to Jones. Just before the break Alex Jones produced a great block to deny Wil Owen (Half Time 0 – 0).

On 51 Ruthin’s Ian Hughes found Owen who shot across the goalmouth and away to safety, but 7 minutes later Ruthin took the lead when Patrick Hinchcliffe on the right delivered a perfect cross picking out Garmon Hafal who was in the right place to fire home past Paul Pritchard. On the hour AsaThomas produced a fine run ending in a great effort and a smart save from Jones. Harrison had sent on substitutes Rhys Roberts who had ended a six match ban and Keiron Hilditch after Ruthin’s goal as Hotspur pushed hard to draw level, and Alex Jones went on a good run only to be inches over with a fine effort. The hosts were pumping balls into the goalmouth but Ruthin defended resolutely they themselves having some good results in recent time but on 85 Hotspur were back on level terms. Paul Pritchard’s long high free kick was headed back into the goalmouth by Jack Griffiths where the alert Mike Kelly turned to smack the ball past Jones. Both sides going for it and after a corner on the right the ball travelled to Rhys Roberts at the far post but he shot over from point blank range. Paul Pritchard had to tip over from Hinchcliffe but then in the dying embers Hinchliffe broke swiftly on the right crossing to Osian Davies who gleefully smashed home the winner which at the least could be described as controversial.

Gareth M Davies