News from the New Stadium

A goal in each half by Mel McGinness and Brendon Hogan saw Holyhead Hotspur get back to winning ways with an excellent three points rushing the Holy Islanders up into mid-table, while this was Buckley’s tenth defeat in as many league and cup games and put them deep in trouble with relegation a real threat!

Hotspur under Darren Garmey for this game were full value for their win with a fully committed display but the visitors with new boss Terry Ingram in charge in his first game were spirited opponents and often belied their lowly position while Paul Pritchard between the sticks had to be at his best on a few occasions behind a solid back line. However Hotspur were in no mood to settle for anything other than the win, Mel McGinness showing all his predatory instincts to put his side in front on 26th minutes after Mike Kelly hit the bar, while the latter was again involved on the hour having his shot blocked before Brendun Hogan cemented all three points with a rasping finish high into the net.

Campbell Harrison’s charges will travel to Mold Alexandra with a good deal of confidence this coming weekend hoping to push themselves further up the league table.

Nip and tuck to start as Buckley’s Arron Williams broke into a good position but Dewi Thomas made a smart intervention to dispossess him.

At the other end Keiron Hilditch “good high ball into the goalmouth just went away from Mel McGinness who had got into a good position. However on 11Buckley’s Jack Morris found Mike Chronshaw with a clear sight of goal, but Paul Pritchard made a great, block with his right outstretched foot to keep the effort out. The game was played at a good tempo with both teams attacking in turn and on 18 visitors keeper Adam McGee had to produce a fine reaction save from Deion Evans. In the 26th minutes Hotspur took the lead left back Hilditch moved over to the right taking a long throw coming to Mike Kelly whose header was tipped on to the bar by Mager the ball coming down to the alert McGinness who gleefully banged it home. Both sides were battling and Deion Evans showed these qualities winning two challenges and shooting from long distance just wide with the keeper out of position, while at the opposite end Jacob Evans’s shot was blocked by Hotspur defence. Half Time 1-0.

The second half began with a good run down the left by McGinness finished by a shot hitting the side netting where an Deion Evans free kick drifted wide on 53. After Buckley’s Jacob Evans had a shot saved by Pritchard the hosts increased their lead on the hour. McGinness ball into the box was well blocked by McGee, the rebound falling to Brendun Hogan who rifled the rebound into the top corner. The Bucks responded and Alex Jones had to make a great tackle to prevent a real goal scoring opportunity by Chronshaw. At the other end Ken Leigh Owen back after his hamstring injury made a good run on the left shooting across the goalmouth while the Flintshire side were not giving up and Pritchard had to flinch himself to his left to save from Jacob Evans on 82 which Rhys Roberts cleared up while both sides made changers before the end but it was Holyhead Hotspur done and dusted!