News from the New Stadium

Holyhead Hotspur continued their recent onward and upward march with an impressive three points against historic rivals Caernarfon Town at the New Stadium in a super charged encounter which never failed to thrill and boiled over on the half hour. With the strong wind in their first half favour Hotspur pressed hard for an early advantage and after captain Mike Kelly had struck the upright on the quarter hour mark a minute later Dewi Thomas put the hosts ahead.

Jamie Breeze unlike him missed a good opportunity to draw the Cofies level not long after. But then on 30 minutes came the definitive moment in the game. It looked innocuous enough when Caernarfon keeper Alex Ramsey and Hotspur’s Alex Jones came together but the referee deemed Ramsey had impeded Jones which seemed unclear to many and awarded Holyhead a spot kick while showing a straight red card to the goalkeeper. The somewhat ‘soft decision’ incensed the visitors and manager Iwan Williams ‘did protest too loudly’ and he too saw red and was sent to the stands. Substitute Keihan Jones took over in goal for the rest of the game as Kenleigh Owen converted the spot kick with aplomb which put the hosts two up at the break. The ten men reduced the arrears after 74 minutes but with 10 minutes to go and game on, young Robert Llewelyn Jones who has impressed off the bench made in game, set and match with his first goal at senior level.
Hotspur travel to Porthmadog on Wednesday (8th February) while this coming Saturday Hotspur hope to continue their winning ways against Flint Town United at the New Stadium kick off 2pm.
Both sides in a quick tempo start with Hotspur using the conditions well and an early free kick by Kenleigh Owen bounced just over the bar while on 11 a Deion Evans set piece from 20 yards was just wide. A few minutes later on 16 a ball in from the right reached Mike Kelly who found the base of the far upright. However on 17 it was 1 – 0 to the hosts. A corner on the left by Mel McGinniss found Alex Jones whose header was cleared near the line but only to Dewi Thomas who rifled home.  The visitors responded and within five minutes should have been level when Jamie Breeze broke through but let the good chance slip by hitting the side netting. On 26 Kelly flicked on to Mel McGinniss but his effort was deflected for a corner. Then came the controversial incident on the half hour. (Half Time 2 – 0).

Heavy rain had joined the blustery wind and a good run by sub Jamie Roberts (like Jay Gibbs his team mate also ex Hotspur) brought Paul Pritchard into a good stop, then came a close shave for Hotspur as Roberts fired in from the right keeper Pritchard missed it and Kevin Lloyd headed just wide on 50. Despite the two goal and man advantage the game was far from won with defence coping well and lively on the break, but on 74 Caernarfon reduced the arrears as Kevin Lloyd put over a great cross from the right met first time by Darren Thomas’s fine header which found the far corner. Next goal would be all important and on 80 it came to Hotspur. Mel McGinniss received the ball on the right of goal to set up Robert Llewelyn Jones who stroked the ball home for his first goal much to the delight of his team colleagues and to send the home fans in the 300 plus crowd into raptures.

Gareth M Davies