News from the New Stadium

Expectations were high on Wednesday night at Y Traeth against hosts Porthmadog that Campbell Harrison’s Holyhead Hotsput side could continue their recent upsurge in form and mid table stability, especially so after an excellent 3 -1 success  against high riding and old rival Caernarfon Town at the weekend.

However it was rather a case of ‘after the Lord Mayor’s show’ while conceding three goals without reply!  One down at the break from a splendid Chris Jones individual effort it became two on the hour via Cai Jones but then Hotspur camped in the home half for long periods but without the penetration and composure needed at vital times in front of goal to come back into it, although a couple of penalty appeals, one being a stone waller, were turned down by a referee who was problematic all night. When a spot kick was eventually allowed with ten minutes to go and a real chance to reduce the arrears Richard Harvey made a fine save from Mel McGinniss and the opportunity to make it ‘game on’ was not taken, and Tomos Clarke made the Holy Islanders pay with a killer third goal to put the seal on an emphatic looking score line which perhaps does not give the whole picture of the game. However it is goals that count!

Hotspur have just a few days to wait to get back on track when they host Flint Town United on Saturday 11th February kick off 2pm when it is hoped that spark will return against the Silkmen at the new Stadium.
Hotspur quick out of the blocks and Mel McGinniss was just wide from a free kick, and then on ten minutes a cross from KC Owen into the goal mouth was just begging to be put away. A good temp ,to the game which was now nip and tuck but it was the black and reds that went ahead on 19 minutes when Chris Jones from the right went on a mazy run when Hotspur’s defence opened up like the Red sea in front of him and from 15 yards produced a superb finish to the left of keeper Paul Pritchard. Just after Kenleigh Owen who had just returned from hamstring trouble suffered another blow and had to go off with an ankle injury as the manager readjusted his team. Dean Garmey on from Owen then nearly got on the end of a McGinniss effort as Hotspur enjoyed some good possession.   Half Time 1 -0

Both sides enjoying spells on top and Dewi Thomas shot wide on 58 but a minute later a move at pace by the hosts saw the ball shifted to Cai Jones on the edge of the box who wasted no time by drilling the ball home off the inside of the post. It was after this that Hotspur came far more into the game and after Dewi Thomas rounded Richard Harvey he could not get a clean strike past Port’s  defenders. On 70 from a corner Mel McGinniss looked to have been impeded as the visitors piled on the pressure and once again on 76 this time it looked a certain spot kick as McGinniss was brought down, however at last the referee awarded Holyhead a penalty in the 80th minute but Harvey guessed right from Mel McGinniss’s effort. The reprieved hosts took heart and were twice denied by Paul Pritchard, but the missed penalty had left the home side off the hook and Hotspur were to rue ths miss as Tomos Clarke seemed to have plenty of time just inside the box to guide the ball home past Pritchard.

Gareth M Davies