News from the New Stadium

With barely a minute to go of extra time sub Brendun Hogan became Holyhead Hotspur’s unlikely match winner to earn Campbell Harrison’s side a tasty home Huws Gray Alliance League Cup semi final tie against our rivals Caernarfon Town on a Saturday date to be arranged. Harrison’s inspired substitution came when Hogan was thrust into the action with just ten minutes left of the extra time period with the prospect of a penalty shoot out looming.

Mercifully Hotspur and Porthmadog were spared that outcome but in truth the hosts should have been ahead long before the dramatic conclusion and Brendun Hogan’s timely intervention,  while Porthmadog who had already beaten the Holy Islanders twice this season were  indebted to keeper Richard Harvey for a number of splendid saves to keep his side interested.

The heavy conditions made it difficult for both teams however the players deserve credit for producing a cracking contest which towards the end could have gone either way although it did bring the right result in the end, which the Port manager Craig Papirnyk graciously conceded after.

The result will put Hotspur in good heart for next weekend’s home league fixture with Denbigh Town kick off 2pm, and on their way to a good finish to the season.

It was the Traeth visitors who were the first to show when a swift raid down the right saw the ball reach Paul Lewis at the far stick who headed wide, and a minute later Lewis put the ball into the goalmouth but Cai Jones shot over. Hotspur responded and on ten Dean Garmey’s free kick saw Alex Jones’s downward header smothered by Richard Harvey. On 14 from a Dewi Thomas cross Rhys Roberts headed narrowly over. Holyhead Hotspur were putting a lot of pressure on the visitors goal and Dewi Thomas’s effort was cleared off the line while the busy Mel McGinness shot wide on the half hour. It was a good contest and on 34 a cracking shot from Keiron Hilditch looked goal bound but Harvey flung himself to his left to produce a great tip over, while just after a free kick from Alex Jones was tipped for a corner. Despite Hotspur’s supremacy they had to be careful at the back and it needed a superb tackle by Alex Jones to prevent Meilir Williams breaking through on 42. Just before the break a fine one two between Dewi Thomas and Mel McGinness nearly saw the opening goal.  Half Time 0 – 0

Dewi Thomas shot just over while Port’s Rob Evans crossed into Lewis who headed straight at Paul Pritchard. On 54 Hotspur missed another good chance to go ahead when Thomas produced a fine run releasing Gavin Sharpe in a one on one situation with Harvey, but twice had his shots blocked. There were one or two heated moments with the referee not helping. On 76 from a Deion Evans’s corner on the right Mike Kelly’s connection flew just wide. Hotspur were getting frustrated in not making their pressure count, being virtually camped in Port’s half of the field, and Kelly shot just over again on 90 minutes. On 95 Kelly passed to McGinness who shot straight at Harvey. A minute later Pritchard made a fine save to deny Cai Jones. On 100 Deion Evans did well to cross a superb ball into Mel McGinness path in the six yard area but he just failed to connect in front of goal. It could now go either way with Hotspur still the driving force, but then with time running out the ball was hoisted into the goal mouth and the ball switched to Brendun Hogan coming in from the right of the penalty area, with Harvey out of his goal struggling to get back, and the substitute showed fine composure at a vital moment to roll the ball into the far corner of the net which sent the vocal home support into raptures.

Gareth M Davies