News from the New Stadium

In a game which had its fair share of heated incidents when passions ran high Campbell Harrison’s charges became the first team to inflict an away league defeat on newly crowned champions Prestatyn Town. Having formed a guard of honour to welcome the Huws Gray Alliance title holders on to the New Stadium pitch Hotspur went on to show scant regard for their opponents reputation taking the game to the visitors from the start.

Two goals to the good at the break via a Dean Garmey free kick and a strike from Mel McGinness while Dewi Thomas made it three just after the break from the penalty spot. Jack Kenny then reduced the arrears with twenty minutes to go, however any hopes the Seasiders had of coming right back into it were dashed when Kenny was shown a straight red card for violent conduct after a confrontation with Rhys Roberts. Rampant Hotspur took full advantage when Mel McGinness notched his second with a sublime finish lobbing former Holyhead Hotspur keeper Carl Jones, and although Jack Lewis pulled another goal back with the last kick of the match the hosts were very worthy winners with a fine scalp under their belt.

Hotspur will be back on the road again next Saturday visiting Gresford Athletic and a repeat performance would be very welcome considering the all important League Cup semi final against Caernarfon town soon on April 8th 2pm kick off.

The match played in heavy conditions was played in a good tempo throughout. Nip and tuck at the start Paul Pritchard saving low down from Alex Williams while at the other end Mel McGinniss just failed to get a good connection from Mike Kelly’s cross on 12. Former Hotspur keeper Carl Jones then had to make two blocks in quick succession to deny Dewi Thomas and Mel McGinniss on 13. Hotspur were seeing plenty of the ball and from a corner on the left by Dean Garmey, Cory Jones headed just wide on 18. Hotspur continued to press and just after McGinniss broke on the right with Jones blocking his shot at his near post and the ball somehow being kept out in a goalmouth. The scrambled ball falling to Thomas who scooped over a good chance on 22. Then Jones came out quickly but conceded a yellow card for a foul tackle which brought Hotspur a free kick. A minute later a free kick on 23 just outside the box on the left by Dean Garmey flew past Jones to the top corner to give Hotspur a deserved lead. The hosts continued to dominate and on 25 Dewi Thomas put Mel McGinniss in the clear one on one with Jones the keeper doing just enough to deflect the ball inches wide past the upright. A right wing sortie by Tom Kemp saw him cross into Ben Maher who shot widely over. Just after on the half hour Hotspur went two in front when Cory Jones found Mike Kelly on the right who crossed into the goal mouth and although closely marked Mel McGinniss wriggled himself free to prod past Jones. At the other end Pritchard came out quickly to deny danger near the corner flag. Half Time 2 – 0

Five minutes after the break McGinniss was brought down and Dewi Thomas shot home the resultant penalty with aplomb making in 3 – 0. This saw a response from the visitors and Pritchard make a superb flying save high to his left to thwart a goal bound shot from James Stead and made another good stop on 63. On 67 Jack Kenny scored a fine individual goal breaking through Hotspur’s defence and slotting past the advancing Pritchard. It seemed game on now but a few minutes later and ugly incident saw Kenny receive his marching orders. Hotspur regained the ascendancy which they had for lengthy periods during the match and on 74 made the game safe with a long ball down field which found McGinniss in full flight down the right – he then cut in field inside his defender looked up and flighted the ball superbly over Jones into the far corner for a ‘perfect finish’ and a goal to savor. Both sides sent on subs as the match had now been drawn into a heated contest and with time almost up Jack Lewis made it 4 – 2 from a free kick but by then the ‘Champions’ had been taken down a peg or two with a few unsavory moments thrown in.
Prestatyn had come to celebrate but Hotspur failed to read the script!

Gareth M Davies