News from the New Stadium

A fifteenth minute goal by Jamie Breese proved enough to put Caernarfon Town
into the final of the Huws Gray Alliance League Cup in this semi final tie at
Holyhead Hotspur’s New Stadium. The winners will face Flint Town United in the
final on the 29 th April. Campbell Harrison’s team fought well although lacking a
certain quality it was often a scrappy affair and the match had no real tempo to it.
However in a hard fought encounter the visitors had the more clear cut chances
and deserved their success, although the hosts lacked their own cutting edge with
just Mel McGinness up front .

The two old rivals attracted a good turn out as one might expect with over 450
present for Hotspur’s best crowd of the season.

Hotspur have just one more game left in the season when they travel to mid
Wales Caersws this coming week end (April 15 th ) and will hope to finish on a
winning note to consolidate their mid table position which is a vast improvement
on their early season form when relegation seemed a possibility.

Caernarfon were the fastest out of the blocks and keeper Paul Pritchard was in
early action for Hotspur from the visitors early attacks as the hosts struggled to
get a foothold in the match. Pritchard was called into further action and saved
well from Jamie Breese and Darren Thomas. The early pressure was bound to tell
and it did in the fifteenth minute when a ball down the centre was not controlled
by the ever reliable Alex Jones which saw Jamie Breese gain possession of the ball
and although closely marked shrugged off Jones, as he came back at him, and as
Pritchard emerged from his goal Breese prodded the ball past the keeper owing
much to his persistence as anything else. Hotspur at last came back into the game
and Dean Garmey sliced wide on 18, but back at the other end following three
successive corners and effort on goal was hacked off the line just on the half hour
mark. Two minutes later an excellent break by Dan McGinness on the right saw
him cross hard and low but keeper Alex Ramsey held on well. Hotspur beginning
to have more of the play but the visitors back line was coping well. But on 43
came the hosts best chance of the half – from Mel McGinness’s cross the ball
came to Kenleigh Owen whose improvised over head kick was inches over the
bar. Just before the break a mix up in the home defence saw the ball reach Jamie
Breese on the left and albeit at a tight angle he should have done better than hit
the side netting (Half Time 0 -1 )

Hotspur more on the front foot in the second period with Keiran Hilditch’s long
throws causing the visitors to defend in numbers. On 51 a free kick by Kenleigh
Owen saw Dewi Thomas head over while Mel McGinness toe poked just wide
with the Holyhead ‘roar’ becoming evermore vociferous as they urged the team
on to greater efforts. Hotspur seemed to have a good case for a penalty for hand
ball in the area on a couple of occasions as they pressed for the equalizer, but
they struggled for real opportunities against a well organized back line, and it was
the Canaries who looked like getting the next goal which would be all important in
the context of the game. In the 80 th minute a visitors break away should have
brought a second goal but it fizzled out, and then in the 83rd minute first Jay
Gibbs had his shot blocked and then Danny Sullivan shot over from point blank

Hotspur still in it with just a one goal margin. Dewi Thomas was unlucky in the 85 th
minute to have a goal disallowed for a seemingly high foot. Hotspur were without
any real penetration and then in added time Darren Thomas had a great chance
of doubling Caernarfon’s score but he too somehow fell victim of lacking a
cutting edge by blazing over.

It was nice to see Hotspur’s under 6’s acting as mascots on the day.
Gareth M Davies