News from the New Stadium

Anyone expecting Campbell Harrison’s Holyhead Hotspur side to end their 2016/17 campaign with a dull end of season display were given a rude awakening at mid Wales Caersws by giving a cracking performance in their 4-2 success which was more like and early season display than the last throes of the season.

Indeed this was a really confident looking Hotspur outfit who with a few quality additions to the squad augurs well for next season, and which has improved greatly in the second half of the Huws Gray Alliance season.

To be fair the Bluebird hosts also contributed to a good contest and would have looked to have finished in fourth place in the league with a win if other results had gone their way.

Brendun Hogan gave the Holy Islanders a 28 minute lead only for Luke K Evans to draw the home side level on 38. However before you could say ‘Mel McGinness’ the pocket rocket had restored Hotspur’s lead a minute later and nearly added to it just after, as he lobbed the Sws keeper Luke Evans but the ball went just over the bar. Elliot Jones drew his side level after the hour but Holyhead would not be denied and Jack Griffiths who had a fine match put Hotspur in front again with twelve minutes to go, and Dewi Thomas cemented the win from the spot after the irrepressible Mel McGinness had been brought down.

A quick start by both sides saw Paul Pritchard save low down from Luke K Evans while at the other end Alex Jones header was deflected for a corner. The Bluebirds striker Phil Jones blazed wildly off target with two efforts on 14 and 16, but two minutes later Mel McGinness on the right almost made something out of nothing hitting the far stick after fine work on the right. Hotspur on a good spell and went ahead on 28 when Jack Griffiths made an excellent break from his own half into the penalty area setting up Brendun Hogan with a great ball which Hogan knocked home past Luke Evans. The game was nip and tuck at this stage but on 38 the hosts equalized with good linking play on the right which eventually saw Graham Evans cross to the far post finding the lurking  Luke K Evans who rifled past Pritchard from close range. Within the blink on an eye Hotspur were in the lead again on 39. Kenleigh Owen quickly found Mel McGinness who skipped past the defence to hammer home past a startled Evans. Three minutes later McGinness lobbed just over while a Jack Griffiths header soon after was just off target.     (Half Time 1-2)

Sean Evans shot just over for Caersws on 46 but at the other end Dewi Thomas broke  down the right and fed Mel McGinness who shot just wide on 51. There were then appeals by both sides for penalties just on the hour, but on 66 the hosts drew level with a goal that looked suspiciously off side as Elliot Jones converted a Sean Evans’s low cross from the left. On 72 Mel McGinness’s pass to Dean Garmey  was well struck but Evans made a fine save to his right. However on 78 Hotspur were in front again as Dewi Thomas broke free and had a shot at goal which was saved by Evans  but the ball ran loose to Jack Griffiths coming in from the right who struck the ball home. On 84 that man McGinness was brought down in the penalty area following Kenleigh Owen’s long ball down field and Dewi Thaoms made no mistake from the spot for a well deserved three points.

To sum up Hotspur playing in Claret gave a VINTAGE performance!

Gareth M Davies