News from the New Stadium

Porthmadog standHolyhead Hotspur’s travelling army celebrated in style on Tuesday evening following Campbell Harrison’s team’s thrilling 3 - 5 success at Y Traeth in what was a cracking contest, and put the visitors, who have won their first four League and Cup games in the new campaign, into the next round of the Nathanial MG Cup (previously Word Cup Competition).

The Holy Islanders went in at the break with a two-goal advantage via John Littlemore and Chris Jones. However, the hosts upped the tempo in the early stages of the second half and pulled a goal back through Cai Jones only for Littlemore to restore Hotspur’s two goal advantage later. Back came Porthmadog to draw level with Sion Bradley and fellow sub Cai Jones getting his second, so it was game on with ten minutes to and it seemed as if the momentum was now with the men in red and black.

Holyhead Hotspur however showed great character to forge ahead again via subs Alex Boss and Dewi Thomas, with the clincher in superb fashion, in the final five minutes for a passage to the next round of the Cup.

The next game for Harrison and assistant Darren Garmey’s men is away at fellow pace setters Guilsfield on Saturday 16th September, with Porthmadog due to visit Hotspur’s New Stadium on Wednesday 20th September with a 7.30pm kick off.

Hotspur got an early opportunity when Tomos Clarke put Chris Jones through but the former Port player failed to get a clean strike and it was cleared away. At the other end Paul Pritchard saved at the second attempt from former Hotspur striker Julian Williams. With the game 15 minutes old Holyhead took the lead. John Littlemore’s effort from the right took a huge deflection and it seemed to confuse keeper Richard Harvey and dropped in behind him into the far corner. Three minutes later Gavin Sharpe curled a ball from the left just outside the far post. Port had a period of pressure and on 24 a cross from the left by Gareth Jones Evans seemed to hit the base of the post and was cleared off the line by Kenleigh Owen. Hotspur then had attempts from Littlemore saved while just failing to connect with another good chance. Three minutes from the break the visitors doubled their lead Kenleigh Owen bombed down the left and produced a superb crossed ball to the far post where Chris Jones stretched his neck muscles to head home inside the near upright with Harvey floundering trying to keep the ball out of the net but to no avail. (Half Time 0 -2).

The influential Owen was injured in the first half and was replaced by Ryan Taylor for the second half.

Port piling on pressure trying to get back in the game and it paid off on 55 when a corner from the left was met by Joe Chaplin with a header which rattled the cross bar and the ball eventually reaching Cai Jones just inside the penalty area who smashed home into the top corner – game now on but Hotspur continued to push forward themselves and got a third goal on 64. A fine cross from the right from Dan McGinness was met by John Littlemore to make it 1 -3.

The hosts were not ready to surrender yet and poor Hotspur defending let in Sion Bradley to rifle home their second and with the visitors looking shaky they drew level a couple of minutes later on 79 via Cai Jones who shot through a ruck of players. At this stage, the hosts looked to have the game by the scruff of the neck, but wait a minute Hotspur character shone through. Good determined and prolonged passing play on the right, with the Port defence chasing shadows, and from a low cross across the goalmouth by Dean Garmey young sub Alex Boss slid the ball home although under great pressure. Still time to play but Hotspur made the game safe in the dying embers, when following a Port corner Alex Boss got the ball and flew down the left touch line crossing a great ball behind the retreating Port defence to Dewi Thomas, who showed fine composure to beat the retreating defenders and keeper Richard Harvey as he came out, but Thomas deftly slipped the ball past him into the net to send the Holyhead contingent into joyous rapture.

Match report by Gareth M Davies