News from the New Stadium

Following their excellent showing in mid week against CPD Porthmadog it was a case of after the Lord Mayor’s Show at Stansty Park against lowly FC Queens Park when Campbell Harrison’s men let a two goal lead slip during a second half and by the end the three points could have gone either way.

Granted Hotspur had a number of influencial players missing through one thing and another but Harrison and assistant Darren Garmey would not use that as an excuse for not being able to keep up the pressure at the top with the league pacesetters, as the hosts themselves were depleted.

John Littlemore put Hotspur into an early lead which remained until half time and increased ten minutes into the second half with a header from Reece Brown. However the plucky Wrexham based outfit who have not picked up a point in their previous five matches rallied to reduce the arrears via a deflected free kick from Mike Latham four minutes later and drew level on 64 from a headed goal by Barry Torrence direct from a long throw in.

The Holy Islanders spurned a number of chances after that but lacked a cutting edge and could well have been punished still further themselves.

 Hotspur will need to get back on track this coming Saturday 30 th September when we host Gresford Athletic kick off 2.30pm. Just a few days afterwards on Tuesday 3rd October with a 7.30pm kick off we play Caernarfon Town in the next round of the Nathanial MG Cup.

After a nip and tuck start the visitors took the lead on 11 minutes. John Littlemore went on a mazy run from deep and tried his luck with a speculative effort  from 20 yards that deceived home keeper Joel Thompson the ball bouncing wickedly just in front and went over him although Thompson got fingers to it. Just afterwards Thompson made a good stop from Tom Clarke.

The hosts had  a lot of possession without penetration as Hotspur defended solidly although Corey Short Smart always looked threatening on the left with crosses and long throws but Paul Pritchard was comfortable with all that came his way. The first half was a tame affair with Hotspur seemingly in control   (Half Time 0 – 1)

The second half started briskly with the hosts pushing forward and Smart  on the left blazed wildly over on 47 while Pritchard made a good stop on 52 from the same player. On 55 Hotspur increased their lead as Chris Jones found Dan Mc Ginness on the right whose delightful cross was deflected for a corner. From the well directed flag kick on the left by Kenleigh Owen Reece Brown rose above everyone to head home into the corner. At this stage Hotspur looked good for all three points but it seemed to kick the home side into action, and on 59 Mike Latham’s free kick 15 yards out cannoned off a Hotspur defender and past a hapless Pritchard. Five minutes later they were on level terms as Smart the long throw specialist, on the left the ball reaching the goal mouth and Barry Torrence reacting quickest and his glancing header found the far corner.

Game on now and on 68 Chris Jones’s looping header hip the top of the bar while on 76 it FC Queens Park’s turn to test the framework when Torrence also struck the bar. Chris Jones and Gavin Sharpe should have done better with great opportunities as both sides went for the jugular and on 86 the hosts wasted a glorious opportunity to win it, when Helder Ramos put his shot wide. John Littlemore came close to scoring as did Chris Jones in the latter few minutes but Hotspur had to settle for a point.

Garthe M Davies