News from the New Stadium

Campbell Harrison’s men left it very late to rescue a point against enterprising visitors Gresford Athletic when John Littlemore forced home the second of his brace in the 90th minute.

Gresford had taken a two goal lead into the away dressing room at the break and were worth the their advantage as Hotspur struggled to get a foot hold in the game. Owen Roberts made the most of a defensive slip putting the Clappers Lane outfit into an early lead which was added to in the dying embers of the first half via an own goal although Jack Chaloner may claim it!

Harrison who was less than impressed to put it mildly with his team’s first half performance read the riot act and the hosts came out with much more energy which was lacking in the first stanza and put much pressure on the visitors rearguard which eventually paid off although Gresford still created problems. John Littlemore reduced the arrears on 57 however it took a great block by keeper Paul Pritchard to prevent the visitors restoring their two goal advantage and thus eventually enabling Littlemore to draw his side level at the death.

After this Tuesday night’s MG Nathanial Car Cup tie at home to Caernarfon Town with a 7.45pm kick off, Hotspur travel to Denbigh Town this coming Saturday 2.30pm kick off in the Welsh Cup Round 1.

The game quickly had a good tempo to it and John Littlemore tested keeper Mike Platt on 6 minutes, however the visitors looked pacey up front and took the lead on 8 minutes, A mistake at the back saw Owen Roberts break forward at a fast pace and moving inside the box his shot had enough on it to beat Paul Pritchard although the keeper got a touch. End to end with a good  contest developing and Gresford’s Tom Freeman and Max Peate went close to adding to the score. On the half hour Alex Jones had a header and a shot blocked while Mel Mc Ginness’ effort went just wide of the post. However it was the visitors who were calling the tune and a minute before the break increased their lead. A quick throw in opened up the Hotspur defence and Jack Chaloner on the left broke into the Hotspur penalty box and his fine run and cross was deflected into the goal. (Half Time 0 -2)

The next goal would be all important and at last Hotspur had a more competitive look about them, and on 54 a well worked move saw Mel Mc Ginness put his brother Dan through on the right but he shot the wrong side of the upright. Three minutes later a ball down the middle found John Littlemore who with much still to do made ground into the penalty area and rifled a shot into the far corner beating the keeper and scoring a well taken goal. Game on now and the marauding Dan Mc Ginness on the right was close again. Although under pressure Gresford still packed a punch at the other end and on 70 Tom Freeman made progress on their left and crossed to Obi Anourou who had the goal at his mercy but Paul Pritchard spread himself superbly to block a certain goal which would have restored the visitors two goal margin, but Pritichard’s save proved a defining moment in the final outcome. Just after Pritchard’s save a few minutes later Dave Mac Intyre’s free kick was blocked and his follow up went just wide. On 77 John Littlemore turned smartly and half volleyed just over. With time running out Hotspur’s pressure paid off much to the annoyance of keeper Mike Platt who was booked for dissent. A corner from the left for once saw Platt misjudge the cross and flight of the ball and from Dean Garmey’s flag kick Alex Jones at the far post  nodded the ball back across the goal mouth and Littlemore forced that ball home. Back at the other end Pritchard just managed to tip over a rasping Gresford shot which was their final effort.

Gareth M Davies