News from the New Stadium

Huws Gray Alliance League leaders Caernarfon Town proved too strong for hosts Holyhead Hotspur at the New Stadium on Tuesday night in this MG Nathaniel Car Cup competition second round tie. However the three goal margin rather flattered the visitors who only made the tie safe in added time with their second and third goals. Up to then the Cofis had led through a 25 minute strike from full back and captain Nathan Craig.

Campbell Harrison’s team battled hard to get on level terms but came up against a strong back line who reduced Hotspur to a few clear cut chances while those that were lacked a cutting edge.

Caernarfon themselves could have added to their earlier strike and as Holyhead pushed hard in the dying embers the strong contingent of away supporters in a crowd of just under 400 breathed more easily when Jamie Breeze (92) and Darren Thomas (95) made it a far more convincing win than it actually was.

Holyhead Hotspur will be in cup action again this Saturday when visiting Denbigh Town in the Welsh Cup and hopefully striker John Littlemore will be available as his goal scoring touch was missed against Caernarfon Town.

Alex Jones made a timely intervention after 4 minutes from a dangerous looking situation and Kenleigh Owen in similar fashion did likewise on Danny Brockwell. There was a quick tempo to the game and on 15 Jamie Breeze headed just over. Hotspur  were having to contain a lively looking Caernarfon team and Corey Jones was alert to a quick break on 17. Hotspur were getting into it more as the half developed and Ryan Taylor produced a good effort to test Alex Ramsey in the visitors  goal. However on 25 the Canaries took the lead when a move emerging from the right saw the ball find Nathan Craig in space to the left of goal and his stinging drive stuck the far post and entered the net. Hotspur responded but Dean Garmey’s free kick only found Ramsey   (Half Time 0 -1 )

The second half started in a similar fast tempo and Ryan Taylor almost got in front of Ramsey while at the other end on 55 Hotspur custodian Paul Pritchard was out of goal quickly to read the situation and deny Darren Thomas a strike at goal who was in the clear of defenders. Alex Jones on 57 then produced an improvised over head kick which had Ramsey stretching for and on 63 Kenleigh Owen had a great chance from inside the Caernarfon box but sliced his kick wide.

Hotspur now having a period of sustained pressure on the Caernarfon goal and on 70 from a corner by Dean Garmey on the left Tomos Clarke’s header lacked direction in clearing the cross bar. At the other end a shot by Darren Thomas was tipped over by Pritchard.  On 81 a strong run on the right by Dan Mc Ginness saw his goal bound shot deflected for a corner as Hotspur sensed a breakthrough.

Hotspur giving the visitors more to think about now, and after a good delivery by Kenleigh Owen the ball found Tomos Clarke in the goal mouth but he again put his header over on 89.

With Hotspur searching for the equalizer they were more vulnerable at the back an on 90 + 2 a ball into the hosts goal mouth found Jamie Breeze in space who took the ball down and rounded Pritchard to fire home. Hotspur still not giving up but Caernarfon again broke clear from a quickly taken free kick and Darren Thomas notched a third moving in from the right to smash past Pritchard.

Gareth M Davies