News from the New Stadium

Campbell Harrison’s team suffered their second loss in five days in a first round Welsh Cup tie at Denbigh Town’s Central Park on Saturday. This followed on from the previous Tuesday’s exit of the Nathanial MG Cup by old rivals Caernarfon Town.

However the tie could have gone either way in a pulsating tussle which ebbed and flowed and saw seven goals, extra time and two red cards. Hotspur had taken the lead via Chris Jones after 14 minutes who took full advantage of a bad clearance by keeper John Hill-Dunt which was cancelled out by the hosts Danny Sullivan just before the half hour. It remained dead locked at the break but Kristian Pierce shot Denbigh in front on 60 minutes. Tomos Clarke headed the visitors level on 83 but this was short lived as straight down the other end Josh Davies restored Town’s lead a minute later in a case of never being more vulnerable just after your team has scored. It looked like a winner but Hotspur battled back with another header by Tomos Clarke (4th minute of added time) when he found the target with a replica of his first goal.

Extra time saw Denbigh Kristian Pierce shown a straight red card for a foul but not long after that the ten men went ahead again from substitute Warren Duckett which was to prove the match winner on 104. Clarke turned hero to villain when on 110 he was given a second yellow to even up the numbers but there was no more scoring.

Smarting from a disappointing run of late Holyhead Hotspur will want to get back on the winning trail when they get back to league action this coming weekend visiting long distance venue Penrhyncoch in mid Wales.

After a quiet start the game sprang to life on 14 minutes when the home keeper John Hill-Dunt’s clearance fell straight into the path of Chris Jones who showed fine composure to take the ball forward and rifle home past the despairing home keeper. Denbigh Town were having more possession but Hotspur were coping well until on 28 from a free kick Danny Sullivan rose highest to head firmly past Paul Pritchard high into the net. Both sides had chances to improve on their score line before half time but it remained at 1 -1. On 48 Pritchard made a fine save from Craig Pritchard who was odds on to score but on the hour Denbigh did go ahead when Pierce’ shot beat Pritchard from 20 yards although the keeper got something on it. On 71 after a move on the right Mike Kelly had a great chance in the goal mouth but shot straight at a grateful Hill-Dunt. Both teams going for the vital next goal and it came from Hotspur on 83 when a long cross into the goal mouth saw Tomos Clarke superb header creep into the far corner. However from a free kick on the right Gareth Partridge just after Josh Daniels was allowed to get a header in and it crept in at the far post. Pritchard again made two fantastic interventions on 86 and with the referee looking at his watch another cross into the box saw Clarke beat the defence and head into the corner. 3 -3 and extra time.

In extra time Kristian Pierce fouled Alex Boss and deservedly got a straight red then Warren Duckett’s headerd the winner past Paul Pritchard on 104 while Tomos Clark left the field on 110 after picking up a second yellow.

Gareth M Davies