News from the New Stadium

After a most encouraging opening set of games Holyhead Hotspr’s season seams to have hit the buffers at present when suffering their third successive defeat at long distance opponents Penrhyncoch.

Following two cup defeats against Caernarfon Town and Denbigh Town, a Huws Gray league set back at the mid Wales club saw Campbell Harrison’s men lose out by the odd goal in three and fail to close the gap at the top with those chasing honours.

The hosts had gone ahead with a somewhat ‘soft goal’ just on the quarter hour mark via Stefan Davies which remained the only score in the first half, and although Hotspur put the hosts under a good amount of pressure after the break they could not make it count and Pen’s Rob Murfet made the visitors pay for their lack of cutting edge when he rifled home a second for the purposeful outfit with 15 minutes to go. Hotspur continued to press the home side back and were rewarded with a goal in the dying embers by Reece Brown while Alex Jones may have got a touch, but it was too little too late as there was hardly time to restart the game.

Harrison’s men will want to get back on track and winning ways this coming Saturday 21st October 2.30pm kick off when Guilsfield are the visitors in the first round of the Huws Gray Alliance league cup, when the managers will be hoping for a full squad to choose from which to be fair has not been the case for a number of games of late.

Hotspur having to defend in the early stages as the hosts pressed and it paid off for Pen on 14 minutes. A ball in Hotspur’s box was not cleared and Stefan Davies in the goalmouth melee managed to muster a ‘half hit’ effort which wrong footed keeper Paul Pritchard and slowly trickles into the opposite corner of the net in ‘slow motion’ fashion. At the other end the busy Mel Mc Ginness shot over but the home side were pulling the strings and Pritchard had to come out quickly to block a dangerous situation from Jon Evans on 27. It had been a scrappy affair but Hotspur were coming back into the game at half time (Half Time 1 – 0)

The visitors started back on the front foot and were now pressing the home side back but Pritchard still had to come to the rescue with his feet from Evans on 52. Hotspur pushing forward but unable to get in a telling shot and there was a big scramble on the home goal line. On 64 John Littlemore produced a fine turn and a curling effort which agonizingly drifted the wrong side of the far post. Nip and tuck but on 74 the hosts increased their lead when a ball from the right across the field found Rob Murfet whose first time effort drilled past Pritchard hard and low giving the keeper on chance.

The Holy Islanders continuing to attack and yet another cross from the right by Dan Mc Ginness was dealt with well by the home defence who had been resolute throughout. With four minutes of added time played a long throw by Keiron Hilditch eventually found Reece Brown whose well struck shot found its way past a ruck of players but far too late to make a difference.

Gareth M Davies