News from the New Stadium

Quick out of the blocks Denbigh Town built up a two goal lead at the break against an off the pace Hotspur side who struggled throughout to get to grips against sharper opponents at the New Stadium Friday night, and although giving an improved second half performance failed to break down a resolute Denbigh outfit who were smarting from last week’s Welsh Cup exit against basement club Llandudno Junction, while the hosts looked to be suffering from a stop/start campaign and without a game for a fortnight!

Any Swarbrick put the ‘on the front foot’ visitors into the lead after 17 minutes tapping in after a headed down assist, and increased their lead ten minutes before the interval via John Davies’s strong header following a disputed free kick on the right which went in off an upright. Hotspur had hardly got going in the first half but following manager Campbell Harrison’s roasting at half time the second stanza was more promising with pressure on Denbigh’s goal going close a number of times through John Littlemore and Mel Mc Ginness but without a cutting edge, while Denbigh were always looking capable of adding to their two goal advantage via their pacy counter attacks on the break.


Harrison’s men will have the opportunity of getting back to winning ways when Flint Town United come calling this next Saturday 18th November kick off 2.30pm.


Hotspur keeper Paul Pritchard had to be quick with his reactions twice early on with coming out of his goal to thwart dangerous situations, on the second of which he was booked after 7 minutes. The visitors looking sharp camped in Hotspur’s half and looked lively until at last Hotspur’s John Littlemore hit the side netting on 12 minutes.


Denbigh’s early pressure was bound to tell and on 17 minutes they took the lead when a free kick was headed down in the goal mouth enabling Andy Swarbrick the simplest of tap ins almost on the goal line. On 27 Hotspur had a let off when Paul Pritchard out quickly could only half clear a long ball which fell to John Davies who put the resulting re bound wide. However on 35 Denbigh doubled their lead – two heavy challenges from both sides saw the hosts unluckily punished and from a free kick on the right by Joe Culshaw, we saw his well placed kick headed in by Josh Davies who rose highest to power a header home giving Pritchard no chance and the ball going in off an upright.


Hotspur needed to get going and a good move saw Dewi Thomas find Dan Mc Ginness on the right and his low cross just needed a touch to give Hotspur a way back into the game, but it didn’t happen(half time 0 -2).


Hotspur with the conditions at their backs now were on the front foot and John Littlemore shot just over on 50, while Dean Garmey just after, put Mel Mc Ginness in. Mc Ginness turned well and shot inches over the bar. On 57 Thomas found Littlemore who forced Denbigh keeper Jon Hill-Dunt into a fine save to his right while Littlemore again failed to find the target firing a good chance wide on the hour mark. The visitors were pacy on the break but on 76 Dan Mc Ginness found his brother Mel who shot another opportunity the wrong side of the post. Alex Boss brought Hill-Dunt into action again but the visitors defence soaked up everything Hotspur could throw at them and also caused the home side problems with some dangerous break aways.


Gareth M Davies