News from the New Stadium

Campbell Harrison’s Holyhead Hotspur side got back on track via a very welcome three points against visitors Flint Town United. Following their disappointing home defeat the previous week against Denbigh Town Harrison and assistant Darren Garmey demanded a big improvement against the ‘Silkmen’ and they got it as regards the result.

However the performance especially in the first 45 minutes was still short of what they are capable of as the visitors bossed the first half and would have been disappointed their pressure did not warrant at least a couple of goals. As it was a penalty won and converted by Kenleigh Owen put Hotspur into an unexpected first half lead, although the Cae Castell team continued to threaten the Hotspur goal. The home side also squandered some decent chances until sub Ryan Taylor gave the hosts some breathing space with a second goal with ten minutes to go. Chris Budry pulled a goal back three minutes later which gave the Hotspur defence some nervy last minutes but the win was secured. Hard earned and sometimes you have to win ugly maybe, but they all count and puts the Holy Islanders in good heart for their next Saturday match (25th) tough trip to in form Rhyll with a 2.30pm kick off.

As in the previous game Hotspur were on the back foot from the start and somehow the ball was kept out of goal following a corner, while Rob Jones’s good effort went wide on 6 minutes. The visitors continued to look lively and another chance by Luke Tyson lacked ‘punch’ near goal. At last Hotspur got going and a searing run down the right by young Alex Boss saw him shoot inches over the bar, but unfortunately he failed to see Mel Mc Ginness in the six yard box in space with a clear scoring opportunity. Flint continued on top and a fine effort from Kyle Smyth brought a smart save from new keeper Ceiron Hall diving to his left. At this stage Keiron Hilditch’s long throws were Hotspur’s only threat, and at the other end Flint’s Joel Harkers effort was headed just wide. The silkmen were to rue their missed opportunities as against the run of play Hotspur went ahead on 40 when a ball in the crowded penalty area came to Kenleigh Owen whose shot at pace was handled by a defender sliding to prevent the shot and the referee immediately awarded a penalty kick much to the consternation of the Flint bench and players. Owen himself took the kick and although the keeper got finger tips to it, the shot was too powerful shot and Hotspur went into the dressing room at half time 1 -0 up.

There was a flurry of corners by Flint in the first five minutes as the Hotspur defence was put under severe pressure with Tomos Clarke making a fine clearance header near the goal line, and keeper Ceirion Hall making a goal saving stop low down. At the other end Kenleigh Owen on the left sent over a great ball finding Mel Mc Ginness unmarked in front of goal but the ball came just behind him and keeper Niki Lee-Bulmer was able to stop the half hit effort. Five minutes later the keeper again denied Mel Mc Ginness with his feet following the strikers break away from defence. Hotspur need the second important goal and it came with ten minutes to go. A free kick on the left by Owen was headed back across goal by Alex Jones and Ryan Taylor finding the lurking Ryan Taylor at the far post who tucked the ball past the keeper. Two minutes later Taylor’s superb crossed ball into the goal mouth found Alex Boss who fired over from close range. The ball took a nasty bounce in front of Boss who could just not control it. On 83 a corner on the left by Rob Jones for Flint found the head of Chris Budry who powered the ball home past keeper Hall. Still chances at both ends but the Hotspur side stuck to their job and brought hom a valuable three points.

Gareth M Davies