News from the New Stadium

Holyhead Hotspur were on the wrong end of a 5 – 2 score line at Belle Vue against and in form Rhyl side but the final result does not always tell the whole story!
Despite the fact that they were three goals down in a crazy first 30 minutes Cambell Harrison’s team fought back well pulling two goals back via Dewi Thomas before the interval and could well have been on level terms or even in front!

The second half promised a Hotspur recovery but two more strikes from the Lillywhites put an end to the visitors hopes.
Despite the emphatic score line it could well have had a different look to it as home keeper Antoni Sarnowski made a number of brilliant saves to deny the Holy Islanders with both defences looking vulnerable throughout with the hosts always capable of adding to their total.

Slack early play, a feature in a number of games this season, cost Holyhead dearly and meant that Harrison’s team were always chasing the game and were punished, so Hotspur will need to tighten up at the back  for the visit to Holywell Town this next Saturday 3rd December kick off 2.30pm when regular keeper Paul Pritchard will be available again.

Nip and tuck at the start but on 4 a good ball down the right found Danny Holland who crossed well into the penalty area finding Alex Titchiner in far too much space,  who turned well to fire Rhyl into the lead with a shot into the far bottom corner.

At the other end on 9 minutes an Alex Jones header had the Rhyl keeper at full stretch and eventually cleared by a desperate home defence. Rhyl scored a controversial  goal on 13 to make it 2 – 0 when Tom Owen, who appeared well off side, passed the ball to Rowland who lobbed an advancing Cerion Hall. Hotspur responded and Alex Boss on the right and Mel Mc Ginness had good efforts on goal. On 21 minutes a free kick by Kenleigh Owen seemed to be goal bound but Sarnowski made a fine tip over. He fluffed a clearance shot on 29 but Mel Mc Ginness could not turn the chance home. On the half hour it was 3 – 0 when a ball down the middle moved towards Phil March who was clear of a defender, the Hotspur keeper Ceirion Hall detected the danger and came out,  but he miss kicked the ball and Marsh following through had an easy chance to score. It was nearly four on 35 when a Rowlands header hit the base of the goal post. Just after this Hotspur pulled a goal back when Alex Boss was found down the right and his pace took him easily around the defender. Boss’s cross was met by Dewi Thomas who in space found the empty net. Holyhead Hotspur continued to have plenty of possession and 3 minutes later were back in the game at 3 -2 as a ball down the middle found Dewi Thomas free on goal as Rhyl pushed up, and Thomas showing good composure gave the home keeper no chance as he fired low and hard past him. Sarnowski pulled off two great saves just before half time from Alex Jones and Kenleigh Owen as Hotspur tried in vain to draw level. Half Time 3 -2

On 52 Dan Mc Ginness made a great block on the line but from the ensuing corner on the left Tony Davies headed a fourth goal after the ball had been worked through. More pressure on the away side and it was 5 -2 on 59 minutes when Stewart Carroll pounced after Hall hesitated. Hotspur still plugging away with the hosts looking dangerous and always threatening on the break, but on 81 the Rhyl keeper made yet another important save from Ryan Taylor, while Dewi Thomas’s header went inches wide. Sarnowski (man of the match) saved yet again when Reece Browne and Ryan Taylor made good shots on goal, but the Rhyl keeper was in great form.

Gareth M Davies