News from the New Stadium

Holyhead Hotspur suffered a third successive away defeat at high flying Airbus UK Broughton on a snow covered pitch, but gave a much improved showing in an encounter of good quality despite difficult conditions underfoot with even the host camp admitting that a share of the spoils would have been a more fitting score line.

The 4 -3 result could have gone either way but Hotspur’s defence are continuing to leak goals too easily. Up front Ryan Taylor with a brace was a constant threat to the home rearguard while John Littlemore via the other goal was also a lively front runner. Holyhead twice took the lead but it was the Plane Makers who finally emerged victorious after a topsy turvey encounter with Ryan Edwards’s second goal on 87 minutes the match winner.

Luke Busumbru gave the hosts the early advantage on 8 minutes but straight down the other end a minute later Ryan Taylor drew the visitors level. John Littlemore then put the Holy Islanders ahead just before the half hour but this time it was Airbus who responded quickly through Damase Kiwanda.

Two each at the break an excellently taken second by Taylor saw the Holy Islanders forge ahead again after 58 minutes and looking good only for Ryan Edwards to level the scores on 66. The game was now in the ‘melting pot’ despite the ‘freezing conditions’ and it was Edwards who would land the knock out blow to Hotspur with three minutes to go.

Ryan Taylor almost got on the end of a cross from the right in the very first attack but it was the hosts who drew first blood on 8 minutes when a deep cross from Bailey Jackson on the left found Luke Busumbru who rose highest to head firmly past Paul Pritchard. Straight from the kick off Hotspur equalized. John Liitlemore on the right crossed a ball at pace and Ryan Taylor gleefully smashed it home past Airbus keeper Andy Couglin. Damase Kiwanda with a spectacular over head kick was just over on 20 before on 29 minutes Hotspur took the lead. Mel Mc Ginness made a fine run from inside his own half and threaded through a superb ball cutting the defence in half releasing the on running John Littlemore who slotted the ball perfectly passed and advancing Couglin. As Hotspur had responded straight away to the first goal so did Airbus a minute later at the other end when a cross from the right saw Demase Kiwanda head home.
On 35 minutes Ryan Taylor looked odds on to score but Couglin made two great stops while on 40 Dewi Thomas was thwarted by Couglin’s legs as Hotspur put on the pressure. Half Time 2 – 2

Nip and tuck for a spell in the second half as Hotspur before on 58 Hotspur went ahead again, when Keiron Hilditch sent over a great free kick from the left which Ryan Taylor did well to control before shooting firmly past Couglin for a fine finish. However the hosts came back and on 66 the game was all square again as an innocuous shot by Ryan Edwards appeared to be deflected past Pritchard at his near post. Any ones game at this point and Littlemore broke through the home defence but his shot lacked accuracy on 86. A minute later Hotspur would rue the missed chance when after the ball was not cleared at the back Ryan Edwards turned smartly to prod the ball home past Pritchard at make Holyhead feel totally grounded!

Gareth M Davies