News from the New Stadium

Holyhead Hotspur retuned to winning ways against basement club Llandudno Junction at their Arriva ground following three successive away defeats, thanks to a solitary goal from predator Mel Mc Ginness with barely ten minutes to go, but in truth should have put the game to bed much earlier but for a catalogue of missed opportunities which prevented a much more emphatic score line.

However the battling Railwaymen competed will throughout making it difficult for Campbell Harrisons’ men to grind out a welcome win on a tight pitch. The visitors only contrived to bag the winner after the hosts had been reduced to ten men when Junction’s Luke Fountain saw red for violent conduct just over half way in the second period of time.

The all important goal came from the smallest man on the pitch Mel Mc Ginness who ‘leapt like a salmon’ above everyone in a crowded goal mouth getting his head to a cross with the ball going in just under the post despite the efforts of Junction’s keeper to keep the ball out. The assistant referee made the decision for the goal which under the circumstances was a very courageous one.

The three points are all that matters at the end of the day and will give the Holy Islanders regained confidence before the very attractive home encounter at the New Stadium to old rivals Caernarfon Town this coming Saturday 30th December with a 2.30pm kick off the last fixture for 2017.

Llandudno Junction went close after only two minutes when Dean Seager broke through but his effort was barely inches over the cross bar. It was nip and tuck for the first part of the opening half but then came a flurry of Holyhead chances after pressure, firstly John Littlemore passed to Dean Garmey whose shot fizzed just wide of the upright on 25, then Mike Kelly was foiled just on the goal line while Mel Mc Ginness just failed to connect with a volley from a Dan Mc Ginness cross a few minutes later. Soon after Ryan Taylor a delightful ball to Alex Jones but the central defender’s effort went just wide. The chances continued and on 32 Dewi Thomas was inches over with a stinging shot that had the keeper well beaten. Paul Pritchard punted a long ball on 38 to John Littlemore who found Ryan Taylor but Taylor’s effort went over the cross bar. Hotspur continued in the ascendency and Dean Garmey picked out Mike Kelly on the right whose shot seemed destined for the top far corner but the Junction keeper Keighan Jones somehow got a hand to it and tipped it over the bar. To everyone’s amazement the referee signaled for a goal kick while everyone else at the ground could see it was a corner. Half Time 0 – 0

A minute after the break John Littlemore’s effort went close. On 61 Mel Mc Ginness had a great effort blocked near the goal line, the ball rebounding to Ryan Taylor who squeezed it inches the wrong side of the upright. A minute later the hosts came close when Paul Pritchard made a fine save from Bryan Roberts as Junction sensed Hotspur’s many wasted chances gave them a chance of getting the points. Again on 65 they came close when a corner beat everyone in the goal mouth but on 70 came the red card for Luke Fountain. On 75 Mel Mc Ginness passed a great ball to Ryan Taylor whose effort was deflected for a corner. On 80 at last came the defining moment in the match when a ball into the box saw Mel Mc Ginness rise the highest and he glanced the ball home just under the cross bar and won the game for Hotspur. Considering how Hotspur had peppered the Junction goal justice was done even though they had made heavy weather of it. Job done better to win ugly than not at all!

Gareth M Davies