News from the New Stadium

If Caernarfon Town eventually reach the Welsh Premier League at the end of the season old rivals Holyhead Hotspur will not have helped their cause as the |Holy Islanders came within a couple of minutes of completing the doudle over the Huws Gray league leaders.

In a cracking contest which was a credit to Welsh non league football with all the ingredients that a local derby requires, Campbell Harrison’s side who had been the only club to have beaten the league leaders early on in the Huws Gray season were leading via a stunning 20 yard Mel Mc Ginness effort after 68 minutes. However with just a couple of normal time minutes remaining Nathan Craig’s right wing corner flew straight in to set up a rousing last few minutes including added time. The Canaries now sensed all three points but Hotspur who had matches their opponents throughout were well worth their point and few would have begrudged them ‘all’three points.

Both sides cancelled each other out in the first half but the second period really opened up with Hotspur Paul Pritchard making several important saves against his former club. The hosts closed their opponents down well and were always threatening on the break with pocket dynamo Mel Mc Ginness always capable of adding to his first goal.

Hotspur host Holywell Town next Saturday 6th January 2.30pm kick off and more of the same on and off the field, as we had a great 447 attendance last Saturday, would do nicely against the Wellmen and raise the lads to new heights.

Nip and tuck at the start with both keepers in action and on 10 minutes a clear foul on Dewi Thomas looked odds on for a penalty kick but the referee waived away frantic Hotspur appeals. The game was being played at a fair tempo and  often became over heated but neither keeper was being really tested as half time approached    Half time (0 - 0)

Straight after the break Jay Gibbs found Clive Williams but he hit the side netting although on 52 the visitors wasted a good chance to go ahead when Danny Brockwell was in the clear and although Paul Pritchard came out, Brockwell lacked the composure necessary to just side foot the ball and instead shot wide of the near post. The same player then went on a mazy run and drifted past defenders but his shot was brilliantly saved full length by Pritchard who turned the ball away to his left. Just afterwards a Caernarfon forward’s shot saw Pritchard deflect it to his right hand post and away in a busy spell of ‘Cofi’ pressure. Again Pritchard called to action to save well while Alex Jones cleared a ball of the goal line. Failure to covert from their pressure led Hotspur to take advantage on 68 when Dean Garmey picked out Mel Mc Ginness outside the Caernarfon area. With a fine run and although 20 yards out he turned the defenders and contrived to superbly flight the ball over Alex Ramsey and high into the top right hand corner. Despite Ramsey’s best efforts it was a shot of the highest quality and sent the home support in the 447 crowd into raptures over a truly spectacular goal. It could have been two on 75 when Dean Garmey slid a great pass inside the defender to the on rushing Mike Kelly on the right, who flighted a ball across the goal but John Littlemore on the back post was unable to convert although going very close. The visitors were beginning to look desperate and on 86 Mel Mc Ginness’s volley was not far away from scoring. However with time running out and Caernarfon pressing hard they won a corner on the right and it was their set-piece specialist Nathan Craig who got his side out of jail when his flag kick went straight into the Hotspur net at the far post. Both teams knew there was still time for a winner and both went at it ‘hammer and tongs’, but no more goals.

What a superb advert for the Huws Gray league and everyone I am sure enjoyed the occasion.

See you Saturday 2.30pm

Gareth M Davies