News from the New Stadium

After a fine performance the previous week in taking league leaders Caernarfon Town all the way, it was rather a case of back down to earth with a bump against visitors Holywell Town who took all three points via a goal from Steve Thomas not long after the restart following the best move of the game.

With the strong wind in the first period camping Hotspur in the Holywell half Campbell Harrison’s men had several opportunities to take the lead, however fine goalkeeping by the Wellman’s Shaun Pearson and again a lack of cutting edge, also a missed spot kick well saved, failed to make Hotspur’s territorial advantage and pressure pay dividends, and they paid the price via the Thomas goal in the second half just after the turn around.

Although battling hard to retrieve the situation and turn things around the Wellmen who have completed the double over us having won 4 – 0 at Halkyn Road in December always had a bit more in the tank.

Harrison’s team have a free date next weekend 13th January but return on the 20th when mid Wales Guilsfield travel to the New Stadium in the first of two back to back fixtures, the first being a Huws Gray league match and the second the Huws Gray Alliance League Cup both matches kicking off at 2.30pm.

Hotspur were the first to show in the match but the visitors the first real chance when Steve Lewis through on goal blazed over the bar after 5 minutes. Back at the other end the visitors keeper Shaun Pearson had to make a fine save to his right to deny John Littlemore following a long ball into the penalty area on nine minutes. On 16 Pearson was again in action making a great save at his near post to deny Dean Garmey’s well stuck free kick from 20 yards, while a minute later Cory Jones went close with a well taken snap shot. John Littlemore had a chance three minutes later when on 19 he turned his defender but shot just over the bar. At this stage on the match it was all Hotspur using the elements to their advantage and on 25 Mike Kelly earned the home side a penalty by drawing the defender to make a foul in the box. Kenleigh Owen took the kick but it was guessed correctly by Pearson who saved the ball by diving comfortably to his right to turn the ball past his right hand post. Chances continued for the home side and Littlemore scooped over the bar a good opportunity on 35. Just before the break a rare Holywell attack saw them nearly taking the lead when a Sam Jones header went just wide from a great cross. Half Tine 0 – 0

Straight after the resumption Mel Mc Ginniss put John Littlemore in but the striker’s shot picked out Pearson who comfortably saved. At the opposite end another Sam Jones effort was put just wide. Hotspur were to rue their lack of clinical edge when Holywell took the lead on 52 minutes. Full back and captain Steve Thomas in fine link play with the other players and then placing the ball just past a despairing Paul Pritchard as he came out with the home defence napping, All credit to Holywell for a fine worked goal and the best move of the match. This jolted Hotsput who stepped up the pace and a well worked move saw Tomos Clarke on goal but Shaun Pearson brought off a fine block. On 66 Steve Lewis did well to control a long flighted ball in front of goal but slipped the ball just over the bar.

Alex Jones impressive throughout then brought off a fine tackle to deny Lewis on 83 while in the seven minutes of added time Holywell’s Mark Winslade had a great chance but failed to score. Hotspur pushing forward to get a point but to no avail.

Gareth M Davies