News from the New Stadium


Holyhead Hotspur continued their disappointing form of late against lowly Penrhyncoch and this after twice going in front in the opening half only to be pegged back by the battling visitors at the break. The team from Cae Baker upped their game in the second period and took the lead which they held on to until the end of the game.

However the main talking point of the game as at Gresford last week was that Campbell Harrison’s men were the victims of a hotly disputed decision by referee Tom Owen to give Hotspur defender a straight red card with twenty minutes left on the clock the offence warranting a yellow card at best. Understandably Harrison and assistant Darren Garmey were incensed and in heated discussion with the official well after the game was over. Hotspur had done their best to get back on level terms but the resolute mid Wales team held out and probably deserved the spoils despite the intervention of the ’man in the middle’.

The hosts once again had enough opportunities to win the game but regrettably made life hard for themselves in lacking a real cutting edge which encouraged the enterprising visitors to have a real go at the home side.

Hotspur will have a chance to make amends this coming Saturday March 3rd when Caersws come calling at the New Stadium kick off 2.30pm.

In a quick tempo opening to the game Hotspur went ahead after just four minutes when a good run down the left by Mel Mc Ginness saw him send in an inviting cross which was met by NO not a Hotspur player but Pen defender Cledan Davies who with no one around him and diving full length headed the ball spectacularly past the away keeper Leigh Jenkins and into his net. The visitors responded and Jon Evans nodded just wide from a cross by Cledan Davies. On 9 John Littlemore also headed just wide from a long throw in by Dan Mc Ginness. Hotspur almost went two up on 14 minutes when a mistake by keeper Jenkins let in Jamie Mc Daid who fired at the unguarded goal but somehow Jon Folin who was running across goal cleared with a last ditch intervention putting the ball over for a corner. Hotspur continued to apply pressure and Reece Brown’s header was just inches the wrong side of the upright. It really should have been two to Hotspur on 33 minutes when a fine move between Mike Kelly and Mel Mc Ginness saw Mc Ginness put the ball on a plate for Littlemore who with the goal at his mercy somehow scuffed his shot wide. Hotspur would come to rue that miss.

On 35 minutes Jon Evans brushed aside Paul Pritchard’s attempt to block his advance and he slotted the ball home. Hotspur still making the Penrhyncoch defence look shaky and on 42 restored their lead when Mel Mc Ginness passed to John Littlemore who foraged through to force the ball home. However the lead was again short lived as Pen easily beat the Hotspur defence when a high ball was won in an aerial battle with Alex Jones and the ball dropped to Jon Evans who completed his brace past the helpless Pritchard. Half Time 2 -2.

Penrhyncoch were out of the blocks quickly and Pritchard saved well from Eilain Evans and then in a goal mouth melee Mike Kelly who was back helping the struggling defence headed off his line. The winning goal came in 59 when a very long punt down field by keeper Jenkins was latched on to at the second attempt by Steffan Davies who ‘route one’s’ shot sped past Pritchard with the Hotspur defence all over the place. 

Then came the contentious red card and Hotspur’s valiant attempt to retrieve the situation but Pen held out and always looked dangerous themselves. 

Another bad day at the office for Hotspur.

Gareth M Davies