News from the New Stadium

On a bleak wet night at Denbigh Holyhead Hotspur suffered another disappointing result against high riding Denbigh Town, this being the hosts third success this season against the Holy Islanders, twice in the Huws Gray league and also the Welsh Cup verdict.

The patched up visitors were not helped by not having five regular starters in the line up, three suspended with Ryan Taylor injured and the impressive striker Mel Mc Ginness not available. However one down at the break Hotspur has shown plenty of spirit against superior opponents keeping the score down to a goal by Kristian Pierce on twenty minutes and were rewarded early in the second half with a goal via Jamie Mc Daid. That joy was short lived when afyter Hotspur seemingly had a good shout for a penalty Denbigh quickly regained the lead a few minutes later when ‘man of the match’ the lively Craig Pritchard had too much to rifle home Denbigh’s second goal. Denbigh new comer sub Mat Worral then made it 3 -1, with Pritchard adding his second and Worral also completing his brace to make it nap hand to the Central Park outfit and in truth it could have been even more damaging before the end as the over ran their opponents in the energy sapping heavy conditions against a plucky but well beaten Hotspur side. 

Manager Campbell Harrison will have at two of his suspended players back and also hopefully Mc Ginness for Wednesday nights trip to Y Traeth to play Porthmadog with an 8pm kick off when it will be hoped the ‘god’s are on our side!

Paul Pritchard had to make a good save low down on 9 minutes but a minute later Alex Boss was almost in for Holyhead. Again Paul Pritchard was called into action when a Craig Pritchard shot brought a fine save by the keeper. Denbigh missed a golden opportunity on 14 minutes when Warren Duckett taking too much time to shoot, with the hosts looking dangerous with their slick passing and movement. The visitors had done well to keep the score sheet blank at this stage making some forays of their own but on 20 Denbigh took the lead. 

A searching ball from the right into the box saw Kristian Pierce at the far post and he managed o squeeze the ball home just inside the upright. Just after Hotspur keeper Pritchard had a shot cleared off the line. Hotspur then produced a good move but Kenleigh Owen blazed over the bar and Denbigh’s Joe Culshaw curled an effort just over on 45. Half Time 1 -0

Denbigh had been wasteful on a few occasions and on 51 paid for it when Dewi Thomas played in Jamie Mc Daid whose shot beat Keighan Jones although the keeper got fingers to the ball, now 1 – 1. Just after a cross from the right by Hotspur saw a Denbigh defender deflect the ball away with his hand but as is always the case ‘when your luck is down nothing goes for you’ the strong appeal was denied. As it was Denbigh regained the lead on 54 when Pierce found Craig Pritchard who turned and slotted home into the far corner. The hosts continued to press and on 66 it was 3 – 1 when sub Mat Worral finished off a fine move. More good attacking play eventually saw the impressive Pritchard make it 4 – 1 while Worral added his second on 85 as they looked to rub ‘salt in the wound’.  

Holyhead to their credit battled hard to the end as Harrison put on three subs to shore up the over run and tiring Hotspur team, but by then the outcome was well and truly decided!.

Under the circumstances Hotspur tried hard with their depleted squad but the challenge was too great.

Gareth M Davies