News from the New Stadium

A stunning hat trick from impressive youngster Sion Bradley broke the hearts of a battling Holyhead Hotspur team who much better on the night than in recent run of poor form again ended up as the losing side. Two late goals in the first half the first from Alex Boss and the second a spot kick by Jamie Mc Daid had seen Campbell Harrison’s charges fight back to draw level following two earlier Port strikes from Bradley and Joe Chaplin and it was game on for the second half.

However the hosts who had not played for six weeks eventually forged ahead again via Bradley with 20 minutes to go and he made the game safe for the hosts and completed his own personal landmark with a 20 yard free kick late on.

Porthmadog were close to adding to their tally while Hotspur threatened at the other end but without that cutting edge and penetration that has been lacking on several occasions this season. 

The Hotspur managers will have been heartened by the improved performance but hope top get back to winning ways when they visit Flint Tow United this coming Saturday with a 2.30pm kick off.

Young right back Harry Lewis was again impressive and did well to dispossess Bradley on 6 minutes as Bradley broke through and at the other end Mel Mc Ginness brought out a save from Richard Harvey on 10. Hotspur looked confident but on 15 a fine cross from the left just evaded Joe Chaplin and on 22 Hotspur keeper Connor Hughes, in for the unavailable Paul Pritchard, did really well to stop Chaplin forcing himself through on goal after 22 minutes. However the hosts did take the lead on 24 when a fine cross from the right by ex Hotspur player Gareth Jones Evans picked out Sion Bradley who rifled home from just inside the box. Hotspur responded but Kenleigh Owen’s free kick was well held by Harvey on 39. Port increased their lead with some good link up play and the ball came to Joe Chaplin who in a quick movement pulled the ball down to volley past Hughes.

The visitors to their credit hit back a few minutes later when John Littlemore was brought down in the box and Jamie Mc Daid coolly slotted the ball home in style. Hotspur continued to press forward and a fine run and shot by Alex Boss was cleared but the ball came back to Boss who crashed the rebound home into the corner of the net from 15 yards Half Time 2 -2.

Nip and tuck in the second half as both teams sensed that three points was available to the winner and on the hour a good long distance shot from Tomos Clarke went just over the cross bar. Port missed a couple of good chances via Chaplin and Jones Evans while Hotspur plugged away trying to create openings. On 75 Port regained the lead when Sion Bradley turned smartly and forced the ball home into the far corner of the goal. On 80 a free kick near the touch line on the left was taken by Bradley and the ball flew past a startled Hughes to make it 4 -2. Hotspur still responded well and a great turn by and shot by Mel Mc Ginness deserved better than to hit the outside of the upright. Port had some further near misses but the game was over by then.

A minute’s silence was held before the game in memory of Joe ‘Bach’ Williams who died recently and all Holyhead football supporters and teams send deepest sympathy to the family.

Joe was a Holyhead Town stalwart in the 60’s and was one of North Wales’ finest players gaining numerous honours as a Welsh Amateur International, representing the North Wales Coast FA (5 times) and wasa known as a tenacious player.

Gareth M Davies