News from the New Stadium

Holyhead Hotspur’s poor form op flare continued at Cae Castell against Flint Town United in a 3 – 0 defeat. Their third loss in nine days on the back of previous setbacks at Denbigh Town and Porthmadog conceding 12 goals in the process. 

Despite the heavy commitment and strong efforts of manager Campbell Harrison and assistant Darren Garmey to turn things around with the players the confidence in the squad seems to be at a low ebb at present leaving everyone frustrated in trying to get back on track. With no lack of talent in Hotspur’s team there is nothing that a couple of good results would not put right. Oh and a little bit of luck from you know who!

The Silkmen with the strong gutsy wind at their backs were two up at the break via Sean Beck and Mark Cadwallader which could have been even more damaging. However with the elements in their favour after the break enjoyed far more of the game but without the vital ingredients of penetration and cutting edge which has been lacking for some time. The hosts added a third from Ritchie Foulkes via the penalty spot and despite efforts from Hotsput to get something back that is how it stayed to the final whistle.

With four league games to go – Rhyl at home this coming Saturday 24th March 2.30pm kick off followed by Airbus Broughton the following Saturday, it then only leaves Ruthin Town away and Caersws at home to fulfill the league fixtures. However there is still as yet the unplayed first round League Cup match against Guilsfield which is due to be played there on Easter Monday and if successful sees the winner playing a a quarter final match at Porthmadog with the winners of that game playing Flint Town United in the semi final.  

The hosts were the first out of the blocks and on three minutes Mark Cadwallader struck a powerful shot from 15 yards which struck the upright. Kyle Smythe was just over on 6 and Paul Pritchard had to tip a strong shot from Beck away and clear of danger. Hotspur were struggling to get a foothold in the game and it was no real surprise when Flint took the lead on 16. Full back Ieuan Hewitt on the right sent over a fine cross which predator Sean Beck somehow managed to bundle the ball over the line despite the best efforts of Hotspur’s defence. More Flint chances followed but at last Hotspur responded when Dean Garmey headed just wide of the post. On 23 a long mazy run by Jack Welsh found Saul Henderson but Pritchard in the Hotspur goal was out quickly to block. On 28 Garmey tested home keeper Nikki Bulmer at his near post while at the other end again Welsh and Foulkes went close for Flint. Two minutes later on 37 Flint went two up the danger man on this occasion was Hewitt, whose superb first time cross from the right flank into the goalmouth saw Mark Cadwallader reach the ball first and he headed the ball firmly past Pritchard. Hotspur fought back and John Littlemore did well on the left to lose his marker and cross into the box but there was no Hotspur attacker to meet the ball and take advantage of a good opportunity Half Time 2 - 0.

After Beck was almost on target on 47 John Littlemore fired inches over on 55 with a great effort as Hotspur were now enjoying much more of the ball and a free kick by Kenleigh Owen was almost forced home as the visitors pushed up. On 70 Alex Boss broke though the home defence and was impeded in the penalty area but despite Hotspur’s appeals the referee waved play on. Seems to be our bad luck at present!. It was ‘sods law’ as they say when just six minutes leter the hosts were awarded a spot kick for a foul inside the area and Ritchie Foulkes made no mistake and the score line 3 – 0 although Pritchard got a hand to the ball. Hotspur kept plugging away but no avail and Flint saw the game out.


Gareth M Davies