News from the New Stadium

Holyhead Hotspur may have had to suffer defeat in eight consecutive league matches however when it comes to League Cup action it seems to be a whole new ball game! For the second week in succession after knocking out much fancied Guilsfield in the first round Campbell Harrison’s men sipped the cup of success again at Porthmadog on Wednesday evening which means a home semi final tie against Flint Town United a few days later this coming Saturday 21st April with a 2.30pm kick off.

This was no fluke with the whole team giving a really accomplished performance which could have been even more empathic than the two goal margin with goals from Mike Kelly and John Liitlemore both of which were scored in the second half.

Port keeper Richard Harvey had produced brilliant save in the first half to deny Alex Boss and despite the hosts putting pressure on Hotspur’s defence they held firm for the first forty five minutes.

The visitors came out on the front foot for the second stanza and Mike Kelly had his eye in to fire home the opener on six minutes after the break and John Littlemore who had four minutes earlier somehow missed a glorious chance to score,  made amends four minutes later to give Hotspur a two goal cushion, while some fine defending at the back and with Paul Pritchard in fine form between the sticks saw to it that there was no way back for the black and reds.

Nip and tuck at the start a free kick on the left by Mel Mc Ginness almost catching Port keeper Richard Harvey unawares at his near post. On 18 good link play saw Alex Boss unleash a rising shot which had goal all over it but somehow Harvey diving t his left turned it over superbly. At the other end Pritchard was down quickly to deny Joe Chaplin. At this stage it was an even game and Sion Bradley almost got through on 35 and Pritchard was alert to danger by cutting out a good cross 3 minutes later. Port were looking threatening and on 43 came very close to opening the scoring when a cross into the goal mouth saw Joe Chaplin head inches wide the wrong side of the upright. Port pushed hard for an interval lead and went close again just before half time when Bradley with good work on the left made Pritchard and Alex Jones clear their lines from dangerous situations  Half Time 0 -0.

Pritchard off his line early in the second half to deny Cai Jones but on 51 Hotspur took the lead when from a good flag kick by Mel Mc Ginness Harvey punched clear to outside the box to an advancing Mike Kelly who rifled the ball through a crowded goal mouth and over the line despite Port defenders trying to clear. Port responded but Pritchard was alive to the threat with a good save low down. On 61 John Littlemore was in the clear leaving his marker for dead with a clear run on goal but somehow managed to shoot the wrong side on the post with an empty goal gaping. Hotspur looking confident and on 65 Boss put Littlemore through and again free on goal and with this time made no mistake with a perfect clinical finish. Porthmadog pushed hard for a response but Hotspur werte in resolute mood and played out the tie to the vocal backing f the delighted Hotspur fans who were in rapturous mood.

Flint Town United will not be an easy semi final tie but on this display it could be a good sting in the tail end to the season.

Gareth M Davies