News from the New Stadium

Following their excellent quarter final success in the Huws Gray League Cup at Porthmadog in mid week Campbell Harrison’s Holyhead Hotspur side failed to maintain that spark against a strong ‘Flint’  side who were two goals to the good in the first half via Alli Sherrif on 5 and Andy Brown after 24 minutes which in effect killed off Hotspur’s hopes in trying to get back into the game. The Silkmen who will meet Gresford Athletic in the final at Ruthin on May 5th were not put under enough pressure at the back where Flint’s height and physicality proved too much for the hosts who battled hard throughout but as in many matches this season lacked that cutting edge and penetration to really test Flint’s back line and goalkeeper who was never seriously brought into action.
Two hard matches in a week did not help our cause.

After soaking up most of what Hotspur offered Flint sub Morgan Jones added a third in added time to add insult to injury so to speak.

A red card to home defender Dan Mc  Ginness late on hardly helped Hotspur’s mood who were at odds with the referee several times during the match for some dubious decisions.

The result means Harrison’s men have just one league game left this coming Saturday at home to Caersws April 29th with a 2.30pm kick off were they hope to stop the run of eight straight league defeats and end on a winning note.

After a nip and tuck start Flint showed their strength and forcefulness in the 5th minute by taking the lead. A sharp raid saw a shot blocked but which rebounded to Alli Sherrif  who needed no second chance by firing a raking shot into the bottom corner  giving home keeper Paul Pritchard no chance. At the other end a fine free kick on the left by Kenleigh Owen into the goalmouth only needed a touch at the far post to score but the ball evaded everyone. Hotspur continued to press a corner on the left by Mel Mc Ginness was eventually knocked back to Owen whose screamer was barely inches over the cross bar. At this point Hotspur were getting a bit of steam up but on 24 Flint who always looked sharp going forward went two goal ahead. A free kick on the right had touchline by Jack Stewart evaded two Hotspur defenders who did not get their heads to the ball and this enabled Andy Brown to glance the ball past a helpless Pritchard into the far corner. Hotspur tried hard to get back in the game but were up against a solid defence   Half Time   0- 2

Hotspur pushing forward in the second half while Flint always looked dangerous on the counter and twice Pritchard had to be alive to these situations.

The Hotspur players were putting a lot of effort in trying to retrieve the deficit without testing the Flint keeper while any high crosses into the box saw the visitors tall defenders always favorite to clear the ball! In fact it was still Flint who threatened to increase their lead and they did that in added time when sub Morgan Jones forced the ball home despite Owens efforts to keep it out.

All over bar the shouting!

Gareth M Davies