News from the New Stadium

Holyhead Hotspur do not have a good recent record against visitors Gresford Athletic and this continued on Saturday at the New Stadium losing by the odd goal in three.

The game itself was the victim of a very strong wind with the north east Wales side having the first half elements in their favour and taking a two goal lead into the dressing room which could have been even more via the strong running at pace which had the hosts struggling especially on their left to keep the score down.

With the wind at their backs it was Hotspur’s turn to press forward strongly pulling a goal back, however this slowly evaporated with fifteen minutes to go when reduced to ten men after Dean Garmey was given a straight red for an over zealous tackle. In truth the Clappers L:ane outfit were a good unit and always threatened to add to their tally with some good mid field play with Hotspur being guilty of missing opportunities that came their way. 

Darren Garmey the Holyhead Hotspur manager said he was pleased with his team’s effort but disappointed that as at Flint last Saturday the opposition were presented with two soft goals which eventually was the difference between the two teams.

They have a chance to get back on track this coming Wednesday when they visit Conwy Borough with a 7.30pm kick off and then play hosts to Llanrhaeadr Ym Mochnant on Saturday 25th with a 2.30pm kick off.

The visitors were quick out of the blocks and Hotspur keeper Carl Jones had to be alert to make a good stop at the foot of his left hand post from Jake Eyre on four minutes. However a minute later a corner from the right by Keiran Evans saw Joe Davies arriving right on cue to head home unmarked with the Hotyspur keeper well beaten.

The visitors were keen to put more on the score board before the break and on 17 minutes Jones made a fine save from Sam Molyneux. With the wind in their sails they made it 0 – 2 on 19 minutes. A superb long ball from the far touchline by Molyneux saw the fast running Jake Eyre on the right control the ball beat defenders for pace and slot the ball past Jones. Hotspiur broke back but found it tough going against the wind and tried to pull a goal back before the break via a good move involving Jamie Roberts and Kenleigh Owen while back at the other end Jake Eyre twice had further chances to make it more difficult for Hotspur in the second period (Half Time 0 – 2)

Hotspur were quickly on the front foot at the start of the second half and a right wing cross from Jamie Mc Daid found John Littlemore in front of goal but he headed wide on 47. Just afterwards Jamie Roberts had a shot tipped over by Ben Jones while at the opposite end Jordan Mc Carter shot just over on 56. A minute later Hotspur were back in the match when a well flighted free kick by Kenleigh Owen saw Tomos Clarke rise to head firmly past Ben Jones. Now all to play for but on 75 Hotspur a badly miss timed tackle by Dean Garmey saw red and a minute later Hotspur almost went further behind when Mc carter struck a post afte a scramble in the Hotspur goal mouth. 

On 77 a Mc Daid cross saw Littlemore just fail to connect as Gresford were hanging on towards the end and the extra man for Hotspur could have made all the difference. Reece Brown headed just wide in the closing minutes but Gresford always looked dangerous and were a well drilled team.


Gareth M Davies