News from the New Stadium

Darren Garmey’s Holyhead Hotspur side are up and running as they gained a first point of the season at Nant Porth on Friday night. Hotspur had lost their first four games and Bangor City also were on a bad run losing three successive matches, so perhaps it was on the cards that this could turn out to be a share of the spoils and not many would argue that it was a fair outcome.

While the hosts can boast that they had the majority of possession but mainly in their own or middle third, Garmey’s men backed by a sizeable away vocal support in a crowd of some 600 were always dangerous on the break superbly supported by a fine well organized defensive display led by Alex Jones.

Despite Bangor opening on the front foot it was the Holy Islanders who took the lead against the run of play via Luke Mc Given’s superb chip over the advancing goalkeeper. Just before the break Jamie Roberts missed a glorious opportunity to take a two goal lead into half time. The second half saw the away side under the cosh for long periods and Alex Darlington brought the hosts level on the hour. With 15 minutes to go Carl Jones saved a disputed penalty kick, soft to say the least, and both sides went on to have opportunities to win the match before the final whistle.

Hotspur’s manager was pleased with a point but after only performing for 45 minutes in each of the preceding four matches Garmey was happy that his players had played well in both halves for the first time this season.

They have a chance to improve on their lowly league position this coming Saturday when Prestatyn Town come calling to the New Stadium kick off 2.30pm.

That match started with Bangor on the front foot early on trying to carve out chances and Marc Williams was almost in but Hotspur defended well. However on 9 minutes Hotspur took the lead when Luke Mc Givern found himself in acres of space and his well flighted lob comfortably beat the home keeper Chris Mullock who was well out of goal. City responded and Steve Hewitt should have done better shooting wide from a good position. On the half hour Jake Phillips hit the side netting after Carl Jones collided with Robbi Parry. The hosts were too intricate trying to thread balls to the front men while Hotspur continued to be very dangerous on the break. On 43 minutes Jamie Roberts was in on goal but screwed the ball wide of the far post. Just on half time both Alex Jones and Tomos Clarke made great blocks to deny Bangor. Half Time 0 – 1

Both sides missed early opportunities at the start of the second half and Jamioe Roberts making a fine run shot just wide. Bangor were now pressing hard for the equalizer becoming more direct and on the hour did get back on terms. The ball was worked into the box eventually falling to Alex Darlington who rifled home past Carl Jones to make it game on. Nip and tuck now with the hosts pressing hard and on 74 were awarded a dubious penalty kick for an infringement inside the penalty box when the Bangor player fell to the ground doing justice to any well paid actor, and referee Jones was well and truly conned. It was Bangor sub Tom Fields who took the kick and the ball was struck straight at Jones who pushed it away for a corner. 

Both sides had further chances to win the game and for Hotspur Luke Mc Givern’s shot from the left beat the keeper who had advanced but just hit the side netting. In added time Jones had to tip over the bar a free kick from Hewitt, while Cory Jones was played in by Mc Givern and just missed the far post with a well directed shot.

A good contest for the neutral and Hotspur hopefully can go on from here.

Gareth M Davies