Change:  Move to:
12.03.2016 at 14:30 Attendance: 100
Holywell Town 4 - 0 Holyhead Hotspur

Dafydd Griffiths 1
Connor Littler 24
Paul Williams 32
Phil Lloyd 80
Starting line-ups
Mike Platt
Ross Ankers
Paul D Williams
Brady McGilloway
Dafydd Griffith
Jonathan Jones
Paul Williams
Tony Roebuck
Phil Lloyd
Connor Littler
Steve Thomas
Carl Jones
Alex Jones
Brendun Hogan
Kenleigh Owen
Rhys Roberts
Phil Williams
Mike Kelly
Jamie Roberts
Ryan Jones
Dean Garmey
Damian Ketley
Luke Douglas
Brett Cotton
Graeme Williams
Tom Rowlands
Stuart Hughes
Mervyn Williams
Corey Jones
Jack Griffiths
Robert Llewellyn Jones
Luke Douglas for Paul D Williams 80
Graeme Williams for Paul Williams 75
Tom Rowlands for Connor Littler 75
Jack Griffiths -> Jamie Roberts (74)
Robert Llewellyn Jones -> Damian Ketley (74)
Yellow cards
None None.
Red cards
None None.
Match report
Following excellent back to back performances in the two previous games against Denbigh Town and Conwy Borough it was back down to earth with a bump for Campbell Harrison’s team when they suffered an emphatic four goal defeat albeit against a good Holywell outfit.
Having said that what will disturb the manager most is how easily his side was opened up in the first half hour conceding three goals in the process. The visitors were chasing the game from the very first minute when a ball into the goalmouth was not dealt with and it got worse before the interval with two further setbacks as the hosts found it all too easy against a strangely hesitant Hotspur. The visitors improved somewhat in the second half coming close to reducing the deficit but lacked the finish although an effort by Ryan Jones seemed to be over the line, however ‘sods law’ kicked in so to speak when Holywell went straight back up the other end to add a fourth! Harrison summed up his team’s performance after the game in a nutshell “we just never turned up”.
The players themselves know they are far, far better than this and have a chance to put things right when visiting Porthmadog this coming Saturday 2.30 pm kick off.
The hosts hardly believed their luck in the very first minute – a free kick into the goalmouth saw keeper Carl Jones fail to get any sort of connection and central defender Dafydd Griffith gratefully headed home. Dean Garmey shot wide for Hotspur but Phil Lloyd and Connor Littler spelt danger for the visitors. The Wellmen were confident in their build up as their opponents struggled to get into the game. After Littler had almost got through on twenty Brady McGiloway on the left had far too easy a task in taking the ball through the backline on the left but shot straight at Jones. In a rare Hotspur break out Ryan Jones first effort was blocked while his second attempt brought a save to his left by Mike Platt. No surprise when the hosts went two up on twenty four – A clever back heel by Lloyd put Connor Littler in the clear on goal and his shot beat Jones who got something on it but not enough to keep the ball out. After Jones had made a good stop from McGilloway at last Mike Kelly put Jamie Roberts into the box put Platt was out quickly. On the half-hour a corner on the right by Kenleigh Owen was met well by Kelly but his fine header was in turn headed off the line by right back Ross Ankers. Two minutes later this time Ankers was on the offensive firing in a cross from the right finding Paul Williams who with a deft bit of improvisation stopped the ball and in the same movement without the ball touching the ground flicked past Jones to make it 3-0 on 32. The hosts looked for more and in a fine following move Steve Thomas struck just wide. At this point the battle of the Holy’s was looking a un Holy mess for Hotspur! HT 3-0.
Hotspur began to enjoy more possession in the second half and on fifty one Phil Williams had a header saved by Platt while Rhys Roberts worked himself into a good position but his well struck shot only tested Platt low down. The hosts were still pushing forward but on seventy a poor defensive header let in Jamie Roberts but his shot lacked conviction and was saved. This was Hotspur’s best spell and Phil Williams was also guilty of not making the most of an opportunity and then on 79 it looked all the world that Ryan Jones shot had entered the net but not given and to add insult to injury Holywell broke quickly up field to add a fourth via Phil Lloyd who lobbed Carl Jones as he came out to meet him the ball having enough power to cross the line on 80. Holywell almost added a fifth the ball striking the crossbar while Jones made a fine save down to his left from sub Tom Rowlands in stoppage time.
Gareth M Davies