Change:  Move to:
12.09.2015 at 14:30 Attendance: 80
Holyhead Hotspur 1 - 3 Guilsfield
Referee: Mr Ioan Griffith HUWS GRAY CUP-

Mike Edwards (70)
Aaron Edwards 47 Penalty
Jack Harris 72 & 89
Starting line-ups
Carl Jones
Brendun Hogan
Mike Edwards
Kenleigh Owen
Kieran Hilditch
Phil Williams
Dewi Thomas
Mike Kelly
Jamie Roberts
Dean Garmey
Damian Ketley
Ashley Roberts
Callum Bromley
Chris Cathrall
Andrew Ford
Sam Litchfield
James Henderson c
Peter Rees
Aaron Edwards
Adam Jenkins
Jack Cook
Mark Davies
Mervyn Williams
Ryan Jones
Nick Clark
Jack Harris
Sean Jones
Ryan Jones -> Dean Garmey (51)
Jack Harris for Peter Rees 60
Sean Jones for Mark Davies 82
Yellow cards
None. None
Red cards
None. None
Match report

Photographs by Award Photography
Pictures from the match
Following their fine Word Cup success over Welsh Premier club Llandudno in midweek, Campbell Harrison’s side came back down with a bump on Saturday at the New Stadium when visitors Guilsfield knocked Hotspur out of the Huws Gray Alliance League Cup. The Guils have been something of a bogy side to the Harbourmen in recent times including at the Semi-Final stage in the same competition last season. After a first half in which neither side could claim to have taken control, the hosts no doubt disappointed not to have gained an advantage with the strong wind in their favour. The game sparked to life early in the second period. Within two minutes Aaron Edwards converted a penalty for the visitors while just after Dean Garmey had to go off which upset the balance of Hotspur thereafter. Mike Edwards got the home team back to parity on seventy which looked to have set up an interesting final twenty minutes. However, with a couple of these Guilsfield were back in front again when Jack Harris who had come as a sub just before the hour scored with a spectacular long distance effort.

Hotspur tried hard to get back on terms again but Harris struck again in the eighty ninth minute to put the issue beyond doubt and put the Mid-Wales club into the next round.

After five home games on the bounce Hotspur back in League action will want to put this disappointment behind them this weekend when they travel to long distance opponents Rhayader Town deep in Mid Wales hoping to put pressure on the clubs above them in the table.

After a nip & tuc start Damian Ketley put Ashley Roberts Guilsfield’s goalkeeper under pressure who was out quickly to block on eight while Andrew Ford’s shot was gathered at the second attempt by Hotspur’s Carl Jones. Dean Garmey then produced a shot from twenty yards which flew just past the upright. Hotspur had plenty of possession with the elements but were not carving out enough half decent chances. However, on forty a good one two with Mike Kelly on the right saw Brendun Hogan make Roberts save low down at his near post. A minute later at the other end Jones made a good stop from Peter Rees while Garmey showed good defensive awareness by defying Jack Cook. Just before the break a long punt downfield seemed to put Ketley in the clear but the striker lost control and the chance was lost. (HT 0-0)

The deadlock was broken within two minutes of the second half Guilsfield’s Adam Jenkins the victim of a poor challenge in the box and Aaron Edwards stroked home the spot kick. At this stage the Hotspur defence was looking uncomfortable now against the wind and a rasping shot from Jenkins hurtled against the side station, while a minute later the same player flicked just wide of the post. The Guils were looking for more and Jenkins again on the left by the by line hooked across goal which was hacked off the line by Kieran Hilditch, sub Harris then shot just past before at last the hosts responded, Hilditch found Ketley onto Mike Kelly who’s left foot shot was only inches past the far post. However, Holyhead did draw level on seventy, the lively Ketley did well on the left to get the ball across the area to Mike Edwards who wasted no time with a pile driver past Roberts. Ketley tested Roberts but within a couple of minutes the visitors were back in front. Jack Harris had looked lively since coming on causing problems and his long raking effort from twenty five yards flew over Jones and into the far corner. The Guils were not shutting up shop as both teams attacked in turn, one to increase the other to draw level, but on eighty nine Guilsfield rubbed salt in Hotspur’s wound when Harris’ twenty yard shot beat Jones low down and then there was no way back for the Blue and Whites.

Gareth M Davies