Change:  Move to:
03.10.2015 at 14:30 Attendance: 138
Holyhead Hotspur 8 - 0 Pentraeth
Referee: Mr Kevin Parry FAW WELSH CUP-

Brendun Hogan (2)
Mike Edwards (7)
Dean Garmey (30)
Corey Jones (39)
Dean Garmey (41)
Phil Williams (44)
Jamie Roberts (83)
Jamie Roberts (88)
Starting line-ups
Carl Jones
Alex Jones
Brendun Hogan
Mike Edwards
Kenleigh Owen
Kieran Hilditch
Phil Williams
Corey Jones
Dewi Thomas
Mike Kelly
Dean Garmey
Gwyndaf Owen
Nathan Roberts
Marc Lock
Shaun Monument
Gerwyn Roberts
Daniel Owen
David Hayes
Declan O’Connor
Andrew Barker
Taylor Jones
Connor Jones
Jamie Roberts
Ryan Jones
Ryan Booth
Matthew Shakespear
Matti Sedighi
Darren Owen
Kane Roberts
Iwan Bullock
Jamie Roberts -> Dean Garmey
Ryan Booth -> Phil Williams
Ryan Jones -> Brendun Hogan
Mati Sedighi for Taylor Jones
Kane Roberts for Declan Oconnor
Iwan Bullock for Nathan Roberts
Yellow cards
None. None
Red cards
None. None
Match report

Following the disappointment of crashing out of the Word Cup a few days earlier, Holyhead Hotspur bounced back in the first round of the Welsh Cup with an eight goal thrashing of Welsh Alliance Second division side Pentraeth. Although the game the visitors were playing in a part yellow strip there was no chance of any banana skin shock in this cup tie with Campbell Harrison�s men notching half a dozen goals in the first half, two in the first seven minutes effectively making it a mountain to climb for the visitors without leading scorer Corrig McGonigle and Hotspur a smooth ride into the second round.

A brace each for Dean Garmey and Jamie Roberts were backed up by one a piece for Brendun Hogan, Mike Edwards, Corey Jones and Phil Williams, the visitors restricted to just one shot of note throughout.

Although the eight goals were against a lower division side they will boost the Holyhead confidence for the first ever visit to Llanfair United in Mid-Wales this coming Saturday in the Huws Gray Alliance hoping to consolidate their lofty position in the league, while Tuesday nights (October 6th) visit to Conwy Borough was called off at the weekend.

Hotspur on the front foot from the off taking the lead after only two minutes � Dean Garmey played a deft ball inside a defender on the right releasing Brendun Hogan who near the by-line sent a ball across the goalmouth from a very acute angle evading everyone and crept into the net inside the far post. Hotspur kept moving forward and were two up on seven � Dewi Thomas played Mike Edwards into the penalty area and as keeper Gwyndaf Owen came out calmly chipped the ball past him. At this stage Hotspur were in complete control looking for more and it was twenty five minutes before Pentraeth responded Connor Jones to Andrew Barker but Carl Jones was out quickly to clear. On thirty the hosts added a third, Mike Kelly from the left produced a high cross met by Dean Garmey whose floated header found the far corner beyond the keeper.

Hotspur continued to press and on thirty nine it was four, Kieran Hilditch�s ball into the box was met by a neat improvised flick by Corey Jones which beat Owen high into the net. It was one way traffic and on forty one Dean Garmey produced a nice finish meeting Kelly�s delivery to make it five. Dewi Thomas then hit the bar before just prior to the break Phil Williams was alert to deflect the ball past the keeper from Hogan�s shot. (HT 6-0)

It was damage limitation for Pentraeth in the second period and to be fair although the hosts closed down Hotspur much better as Campbell Harrison introduced three subs, while Pentraeth only real threat came on eighty by Barker whose shot beat Jones but flashed past the post. After Ryan Booth headed wide, on eighty two Jamie Roberts notched number seven a minute later doing well to create his shooting chance and fire past Owen, while Roberts completed his brace and Hotspur�s final goal to make it �pieces of eight� when receiving a ball following excellent work on the right by Kenleigh Owen and shooting low past the keeper.

Gareth M Davies