Change:  Move to:
31.10.2015 at 14:30 Attendance: 131
Holyhead Hotspur 4 - 0 Chirk AAA
Referee: Mr A Harms FAW WELSH CUP / Round 2-

Dewi Thomas (18)
Danny Connolly (20)
Dewi Thomas (85)
Mike Edwards (86)
Starting line-ups
Carl Jones
Alex Jones
Kenleigh Owen
Rhys Roberts
Phil Williams
Dewi Thomas
Jamie Roberts
Ryan Jones
Dean Garmey
Damian Ketley
Danny Connolly
Jack Cox
Matty Woods
Danny Myers
Rob Salisbury
Phil Pearce c
Marcus Davies
Ashton Williams
Nathan Lavender
Gareth Roberts
Adam Pugh
Tom Freeman
Mike Edwards
Dillon Roberts
Dan Jones
Anthony Jones
Sam Richardson
Mike Edwards -> Danny Connolly (60)
Dan Jones for Gareth Roberts 80
Anthony Jones for Adam Pugh 70
Sam Richardson for Tom Freeman 76
Yellow cards
None. None
Red cards
None. None
Match report
It may well have been Halloween but Campbell Harrison’s Holyhead Hotspur side were in no mood to be spooked by visitors Chirk A.A.A. in this second round Welsh cup tie, putting four goals past their game but in the end well beaten Welsh National League (Wrexham Area) opponents. Strikes in the first 20 minutes via Dewi Thomas and Danny Connolly (in for the unavailable Mike Kelly) gave the Huws Gray Alliance side a two goal cushion at the break and although Chirk threatened to make a comeback for periods in the second half they failed to trouble Hotspur keeper Carl Jones unduly, the hosts coming strong again in the final quarter of an hour, doubling their total from Dewi Thomas again and a rocket from Mike Edwards with bonfire night in mind to complete an emphatic move into round three.
The win will put Hotspur in good heart for next Saturday’s always attractive HGA encounter with old Rivals Caernarfon Town at the New Stadium 2.30 pm kick off.
Returning after suspension Damian Ketley and Jamie Roberts tested young Chirk Keeper Jack Cox early on followed by a good run on the right by Ryan Jones in what was a rather scrappy nip+tuc start. However, the home team were always on the front foot and it was no real surprise they took the lead on 18 minutes – Damian Ketley received the ball on the left and the omens were good as he delivered low and hard across the goalmouth for Dewi Thomas to hit a fine first time shot into the bottom corner. It was 2-0 a couple of minutes later, Ryan Jones produced a fine run down the right and his searching cross into the danger area saw Danny Connolly head past Cox although under pressure. Hotspur continued to probe although Carl Jones did well to come out and deny Tom Freeman on 25 getting hurt in the process. From a corner on the right by Kenleigh Owen it reached Alex Jones at the far stake who headed just wide while Ryan Jones 30 yard screamer was very close on 39. Just before the break Chirk’s best moment so far – Marcus Davies to Adam Pugh who hit the side netting. (Half Time 2-0)
A two goal advantage is often described as precarious and so it proved in the second period, the visitors winning far more of the ball and on 52 full back Danny Myers put in a good effort just past the post and on 65 Nathan Lavender to Gareth Roberts who was in on goal but Carl Jones read the situation well with his legs and just after Ashton Williams powered too close for Comfort on 66. Hotspur although in control having to defend more and were having to head warnings, but the visitors were unable to make more of any opportunities coming their way. However, Hotspur sprang to life again as the visitors who had put in a good second half without making it count were punished twice again. First on 85 Dewi Thomas ghosted into a good position to take a pass and produced a sharp finish inside the upright and a minute later a combined move originating from the right reached Mike Edwards just inside the box who picked his shot superbly into the top left hand corner which proved to be the final nail in the visitors coffin!
Gareth M Davies