Change:  Move to:
18.02.2012 at 14:30 New Oval Attendance:
Holyhead Hotspur 2 - 1 Llanrug United
Referee: Gwilym Evans BARRITT CUP / Quarter Final-

Kenleigh Owen
Mel McGinness
Starting line-ups
Ben Heald
Alex Jones
Tom Nathan Edwards
Richard Owen
Mike Edwards
Dan McGinness
Mike Kelly
Jonathan Peris Jones
Luke John Roberts
Jay Gibbs
Mel McGinness
Kenleigh Owen
Dion Donohue
Ryan Jones
Curt Williams
Kenleigh Owen -> Dan McGinness
Curt Williams -> Luke John Roberts
Dion Donohue -> Mel McGinness
Yellow cards
None. None
Red cards
None. None
Match report

Pictures from the match
Last Saturday was all about knockout competition for Emlyn Manley Williams team as they reached the semis of the Mawddach Barritt Cup with a 2-1 home win over Llanrug United.

It was the fourth time in a row Holyhead had defeated the Eithin Duon outfit this term and this was their third cup success over the Caernarfon area side following triumphs in the Cookson Cup and FAW Trophy.

Each time, however, Llanrug have given the islanders a tough test and Saturday was no exception. However, as on previous occasions, it was just that little bit of extra class that saw Hotspur through.

Holyhead made the better start with Rug keeper Gavin Williams saving at the feet of Mel McGinness in the first minute before Jon Peris Jones had a shot deflected for a corner and Mike Edwards fired just wide.

Llanrug began to find their bearings and David Noel Williams was not far off before Carl Griffiths well-struck attempt skimmed the top of the net.

And it was the visitors who edged ahead on 21 minutes when an innocuous ball into the box by Rhys Roberts was met by Hotspur defender Richard Owen who inadvertently sent a textbook header into the net beyond stranded goalkeeper Ben Heald.

Hotspur rallied with Jay Gibbs, back at the club after a short spell with Caernarfon Town, foiled by a fine Williams save before the busy Dan McGinness shaved the crossbar and screwed another effort wide.

Gibbs was inches away from an equaliser before Mike Edwards made Williams work again before the interval.

Holyhead were also on top at the start of the second stanza but Llanrug were always dangerous on the break, Roberts thwarted by a Heald save before the keeper almost gifted Andy Garlick a goal, but managed to avert the crisis.

Then an inspired substitution changed the game as Kenleigh Owen came on for the hosts.

Within minutes of his appearance, Owen headed in Gibbs cross to level the tie after 62 minutes.

Both teams now went for the winner, Heald doing well to deny Griffiths before Williams brilliantly tipped a Gibbs screamer past the post.

In the 80th minute Holyhead substitute Curt Williams shot wide when well placed, but finally on 84 minutes came the decider.

Richard Owens 20-yard shot was deflected out for a corner which Gibbs played short to Edwards. The ball was returned to Gibbs whose perfect cross was back-headed in by Mel McGinness who celebrated goal number 33 of the campaign.

Gruffydd Williams went close to equalising, then in the closing stages Curt Williams missed a great opportunity to put the tie to bed.

However, 2-1 it finished and now Hotspur are home to Gwalchmai in the semi-finals at the New Stadium next month.